Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Prob

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jambo

jambo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

hello

here my system spec's

AMD Athlon 64 FX57 2.8 ghz
OCZ 2GB PC4000 EL DDR Gold Memory
Asrock 939Dual-SATA2
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 512MB PCI-E

so the probe i have is that it only show up that i have 1GB of ram when i go to Control Panel then system
i have put each 1GB ram stick in by 1 by on its own and try them and both work fine and i have swapped the hard drive what got xp on it with a other hard drive whats got xp it and still the same probe so i know its not do with my xp thats what i have tried so i hope there is away to fix this.

thanks

Edited by jambo, 03 April 2006 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

Why did you swap the hard drive? The swapped drive you installed with XP installed on it for a different computer will have an incorrect registry for your computer, possibly incorrect drivers, incorrect hardware settings, and may cause enormous problems.

Put the original hard drive back (I assume it had XP installed for the computer it was in)

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system information

Scroll down to Total Physical Memory
What does that say?

Download Everest version 1.51 (the last full feature freeware version) from oldversion.com

Install it and run it.

Click on "motherboard" in the left side panel, open the tree by clicking on the + to the left of the word "motherboard".
Click on "SPD" and wait while the panes on the right populate.

The top right pane should show you what RAM is installed and in what slots.
Clicking on the listing in the top pane will give you its specs in the bottom right pane.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 11:52 AM.

#3 jambo

jambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

hello thanks for replying

the othere hard driver i put in i made for that pc to check stuff so if there probs with things so i know if its xp it just a old 4gb hard drive so i have put the 1 back in that i use with the pc and go gone to and the system information it say the total physical memory is 1023mb

when i downloaded the Everest went to motherboard in the left side panel then SPD click it and waited a while for the panes on the right to populate but it just did not do anything
and othere tool i try with this mother board dont show the info of ram or any thing just this tool CPUZ tilled me there is 2 stick of 1024mb of ram and whats slots there in

Edited by jambo, 03 April 2006 - 01:06 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:09 PM

What does it show when your system is booting - on the memory countup just as it starts to boot?

Look carefully at the DIMM sockets and see if there are any bent connectors, etc?

Switching the RAM in the slots told you the ram was ok, but depending on which one your system sees, one of the slots may be bad.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 01:11 PM.

#5 jambo

jambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

when my system is booting it show Dual-channel Memory Mode 2048MB OK
in bios it show both ram sticks and what slots there are in and i check the DIMM sockets each 1 both black and both of the blue ones and dont see any bent connectors at all

#6 jambo

jambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:41 PM

found that my pc work fine in safe mode but still the prob with ram showing only 1gb but dont get any BSOD like in windows

#7 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:47 PM

Do you know the make and/or model of you mobo? I doubt this could be the prob since you have a FX57, but perhaps your mobo only support 1 GB of RAM max.

#8 jambo

jambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:13 AM

http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

look there it is up to 4GB max

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:45 AM

According to OCZ Ultimate Memory Configurator that memory is not compatible with your motherboard.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:40 AM

Mr. Alpha is correct.
Crucial also says the same thing

#11 jambo

jambo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:02 PM

thanks for that info so i need a new mothereboard so what would be the best asus or abit mothereboard to buy to work with the memory i have thanks

Edited by jambo, 10 April 2006 - 01:19 PM.

#12 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:40 AM

sorry, for compatibility's sake you have to downgrade your RAM to PC3200. I browsed thru mobo spec and didn't see any that listed DDR500 in Socket 939.

How have you configured your RAM? Have you tried installing both at the same time, but in non-dual channel slots IE one in blue and one in black(colors accoding to the manual). If this still doesnt work, take some time and try module A in each of the 4 slots and then module B the same way.

I just had a theory pop into my head. Someone tell me if this could be the problem or just crazy talk. DDR500 modules are rated 2.75v-2.8v(on newegg product list) and DDR400 modules only 2.5v. Perhaps the problem only occurs in Dual channel because the high speed modules draw too much juice, or are underpowered b/c a lack of juice. I couldn't find a v rating for RAM in the manual, but read section 3.3.1 p25 about BIOS tweaks for memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users