Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tv (used As Monitor) Not Displaying

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daisyqtx

daisyqtx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

At work we have a Polaroid LCD 2000 TV that the boss wants to be used as a computer monitor. The problem is, when we turn on the computer, we see the screen that I call the boot up screen where it says windows and is loading. When the desktop loads, it goes blank and nothing is displayed.

I called Dell Tech Support and they suggested that I switch the plug to the analog one, since the TV is analog. So I took it off the digital converter and plugged it into the analog plug. This did not fix the problem. They thought the problem was the TV so they asked me to hit F2 during the boot screen and it took me into the BIOS screen. They say it's not a hardware issue since this screen can be displayed.

I called Polaroid to see if they had any suggestions, but they had none. I don't really think they know anything about using the TV as a monitor, despite the hookup for it in the back. I looked for drivers for this TV, thinking maybe it's just a driver problem, but the internet has no drivers for this TV. The boss now wants me to find something to make it work, and I am lost. I am the furthest thing from a tech, I only know how to use the computer programs once they are already loaded into the computer, and software and hardware issues leave me feeling stupid because I have no idea what to do.

Please, if anyone has any new suggestions, I would really appreciate it. My boss does not want to accept that this TV is not going to work as a monitor. I guess someone had gotten it to display for a short time on one occasion, but nobody knows what he did or how to get it to work again. Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:33 AM

That LCD only has a 640 x 480 display. See if you can boot into Safe Mode and change the default settings to 640 x 480 (standard VGA) then reboot and see what happens. Since you're seeing the boot listings, it's working in standard VGA mode, which is what is displayed in Safe Mode. (Start hitting the F8 key during bootup until the boot menu appears) Your video may be set to a higher setting which will prevent it from displaying on the LCD.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

In order to hook it up to your computer you need a 15 pin VGA cable that will connect from the 15 hole VGA output on your computer's graphics output to the 15 pin VGA input on the TV (which should be next to the power cord on the TV)

You will also probably have to set the resolution of your graphics adapter to 640x480 to match the resolution setting of the TV.
Suggestion - use the original monitor you had hooked up to the computer to accomplish this and then use display/settings in the control panel to adjust the resolution.

http://www.polaroid.com/service/userguides.../lcd2000_ug.pdf

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 11:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users