Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer at almost stanstill unless in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 spit_lube

spit_lube

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

I believe I am infected but can't run McAfee in normal or safe mode - Malwarebytes only runs in safe mode. This is a friend's computer - before I restore to factory settings, checking here for assistance.

Chronology:

installed roboform and western digital drive software 2 weeks ago. All fine for 2 days. MS updates began but would not complete, McAfee stopped updating and would not scan past 6% and same with Malwarebytes. Somewhere in here was able to remove roboform (I think). Can't open Word or other programs for the most part - basically the computer stalls. Would not shut down normally. Have external drive connected, then tried a repair at startup. Got to end and said - would you like to send report to MS because everything could not be repaired. Tried restore points - different ones showed up at different attempts and none would restore - on reboot - the system could not complete a restore - try another date. Used ccleaner and cleaned stuff up, copied reg. Backed up all files in safe mode to external drive. In safe mode - does not appear to have issues - that's what I am in as I type this. Have done defrag, cleandisk, etc. Run sfc scannow. No change.

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users