Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Iomega Home Network Media drive (Seagate 1T drive) Not accessing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BohemianUtopia

BohemianUtopia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hello all,

I've posted this into the external peripheral section - as the original problem is with a network storage drive from Iomega (1 Terabyte ethernet media storage drive).

Last week,  we started having problems accessing the drive over the network.  I was unable to use the Iomega discovery utility to find the drive.  So, at long last, I pulled the drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200 - 1Tb drive) and placed it into ay PC case, and booted with linux to see if the file system could be accessed at all.

The PC's BIOS recognizes the drive,  However, the BIOS "smart" test utility error's out and offers up an "error 7 - read error".

When booted, Linux also recognizes that there is a 1Tb drive attached, but cannot mount the drive.

At this point, I've resigned to be SOL in hopes for retrieving my data.  I've had a network drive fail 2 years ago that had data important enough on it that I sent it off to (Ontrack Data Recovery) be recovered - to the tune of about $1400.  I just cannot do that again financially.

Can anyone here think of another set of tests/options for mr to try on my own first (Folks - I'm an A+ certified computer tech.. I'm not entirely unfamiliar with computers/etc... I've just been out of the industry for a while since layoffs back in the 1990's) 

I'd like to get the data back - and would be willing to spend some hard-earned cash to get the data recovered if I'm not able to do it myself - but not to the tune of the same $1400 that I'd spent before for the old Maxtor NAS Shared Storage Drive that had to have the platters physically removed and placed into a new drive for the motor/read arm, etc)

Ideas or alternate options?

Thanks,
Rex S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hi

If you want to go DIY on this one, here is how I would do it based on what you've described.

Of course, this depends on whether or not Iomega has any software or hard coded virtual drives built into the network enclosure that prevents us from accessing the data as it is stored on the hard drive. Like encryption, for example. That would make it too difficult for these tools.

Make an image of the drive using ddrescue.

Requires: 1.1TB of free space on another drive
Linux with ddrescue installed (I use a PartedMagic boot CD)

Then attempt recovery from the image.

Requires: enough free space on another drive to hold recovered files.(can be the same drive that you make the image on)

Recovery software: I usually start with TestDisk to see if it can find and recover the file systems on the image but then there are paid solutions (less than $100US) that work on images and finally PhotoRec which will recover files in a raw fashion that does not get the file names and does not do well with heavily fragmented files.

After recovery is done, we look at the original drive to see if it can be repaired with something like SeaTools and chkdsk. Then we try to determine how trustworthy the drive is for future use.

If you want to try it, let us know and I'll post questions and instructions for you.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users