Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What size motherboard is in my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dako300

Dako300

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

I have a Dell Precision Workstation 530 MT and I would like to upgrade it but I cannot find a motherboard that is the same dimensions as the one I have now. I am wondering what motherboard size I can use for this computer. The dimensions I have gotten are 11.5 in across and 15.5 in down. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

That model is 11 years old...and Dell has removed any support data that might have previously been posted.

It also seems to use Rambus memory...I'd just think about replacing it with something more modern, specs at http://www.geektweekllc.com/dell-precision-530mt-workstation/ .

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

That computer has a mid tower ATX case which supports Micro ATX and ATX motherboards.  I suspect that the ATX is going to be a tight fit.

Are you panning to reuse the CPU currently installed?

If you are intending to purchase a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM you will be making a sizable investment.  If I was making this purchase I would go ahead and build a new computer.

Another thing to be aware of is the fact that you will have to reactivate your XP operating system, this is going to require explaining why there has been a hardware change.

You are also going to have to reinstall the operating system.  When you change the motherboard the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows.

Edited by dc3, 04 March 2013 - 11:39 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Dako300

Dako300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:58 PM

I dont use Windows XP, I use Ubuntu and I am ready to back up the data and re-install Linux if neccessary. Thank you for the information. Also, the only reason I am using this computer is because it has a lot of fans and a 500W PSU (Along with a lot of caddies for the HDD, DVD Drive, etc). No, I will use a new processor but I hope to use the same HDD. I think I can make a low-level system with parts on eBay for a decent price.

Edited by Dako300, 04 March 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

The case which I'm using has its third build inside.  I can relate with wishing to reuse good equipment.

Best of luck. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users