Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Installshield

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Varoom

Varoom

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:29 AM

Hi Everybody, pretty much a noobie here, so I hope this is in the right place to post this.

I have InstallShield pre-installed on my HP, and there is no uninstall for it, and it doesnt
show up in add/remove programs, the programs it used to update, Sonic/WinDvd/Hoyle
I am doing myself, so I dont want it on my machine (and it is a MacroVision program)
It runs on startup: issch.exe, ISUSPM.exe, agent.exe(this agent.exe is really from InstallShield)
{I need to add that to bleepings startup listing)

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.a...ticleid=Q106234

This is what HP told me to do to get rid of it, after much back and forth with them.

my Question is: does this method look ok to everybody, and where can a relative beginner get
in trouble using this method of removal?

ThankYou

gc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

Hi Varoom.

I have InstallShield pre-installed on my HP, and there is no uninstall for it, and it doesnt
show up in add/remove programs

Every windows system has it and there is not supposed to be an Add\Remove option, it's an integral part of windows. If you remove it you will no longer be able to Add or Remove anything. You might as well make a door stop out of your system. The MSI installer cleanup utility is meant to be used in case the current installer is screwed up. After you run the utility you must reinstall the MS installer engine.
Unless I'm missing something in your post, just disable the startup items, reboot and remove the software you no longer want. Could you elaborate a little more on why you want to do what you're doing?

Edited by HitSquad, 03 April 2006 - 11:05 AM.

#3 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:03 PM

According to HP it is not an Integral part of XP, Why would Macrovision InstallShield be A part of Windows XP? I do not use it to update Sonic and Windvd, I do that manually if I choose, so why should I have three more files running at startup that are of no use? HP said it was supplied with the system to auto update a few of the preloaded accessories that came with it.
Unless you remove it as/per the instructions, it does not remove according to HP, so I cannot just shutoff those three programs because they wont.
this is why I am asking if this is problematic, doing what HP says.

if it is, I will let them run and continuely they will try to update nothing.

we are not talking about Windows Automatic Updates here, that is something completely different.

ThankYou for your response
gc

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

OK Varoom, I misunderstood what you were saying in your first post the way it was worded. Hey it's Monday. :thumbsup:
You just want to use the utility to clean out install info for the macrovision product.
It sounded as if you wanted to remove the MSI installshield all together. My bad.
What happens when you try to simply disable the offending startup items?

#5 Varoom

Varoom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

Thats Cool, just want to get of the macrovision stuff, but the instructions on what to do to get rid of it are more than just using the utility, they are pretty involved for a NOOB.
just wanted some feedback on if all this looks safe.
whenever I shut these programs off they just restart somehow, even tried autoruns.
Its even got its own Icon in Control Panel.
So according to HP and MacroVision this is the only way to remove it, Grrrrrr
If people here say to go for it and use those instructions I will.

gc

#6 bleepingice

bleepingice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

:thumbsup: I did a search for ISUSPM.*, found 1 in i386, one in system32, one in Prefetch and two in Program files\Installshield\UpdateService

I copied all to a to be trashed folder and deleted them

I went to add/remove Sonic Update Manager and did a remove

- it acts like spyware, it hides like spyware... so I judge it spyware and killed it.

Sorry, was on my Dell I purchased lately - I don't like that kind of software either. Have not seen adverse affects. hope not in future

ROts of RUck

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users