Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network drive not available to other PCs on network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mertrodome

Mertrodome

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Firstly apologies if this has been resolved previously - I searched on the forum but couldn't find anything that helped or had new info. However, please do point me in the right direction if I've missed anything. 

Anyway, I've had an issue recently with my home network. It's a single shared folder on my second hard drive. The "server" is running Vista SP2 and the computers I use to connect to it are running XP SP3 and OSX Lion.

Until about a week ago it ran fine - the XP machine had the network drive mapped successfully and the Mac was able to connect as a Guest. As far as I can tell the settings on the Vista machine are still correct, but neither client computer can connect at all. The folder is fine on the Vista machine so definitely no issue with the hard drive it's on.

In Network Sharing Centre, network discovery, file sharing, public folder sharing and media sharing are all on. Password protected sharing is off. The shared folder has been set to allow Guests to read/write etc. As I say, all of this is the same as when it was working. Everyone is definitely in the same workgroup as well.

I'll try to give as much info as I can here - apologies if some of it is redundant, I'm no pro when it comes to networking but I figure it's better to risk giving irrelevant info than miss something out.

What I've tried:

- Switching Windows Firewall off
- Unsharing and resharing the folder in question
- Switching between public and private networks
- Ensured NetBIOS over TCP/IP is on (was on "Default")
- "net use \\ComputerName" and "net use ipaddress" in CMD on the XP machine both say they can't find it
- "netsh winsock reset" in CMD on the Vista machine
- Ran "sfc /scannow" on Vista as well - it did say it fixed some things, can post the log if you need.

Obviously none of the above has fixed my issue - the Mac and XP machines still keep acting as though the Vista machine doesn't exist.

Things which have changed recently (prior to the network issue occurring) which I suspect may be the cause:

- Uninstalled ZoneAlarm and switched Windows Firewall back on
- Installed TeamViewer (remote desktop which allows me to connect from my iPhone)
- Had to run ComboFix to solve an issue I was having where I kept getting "SSDP Discovery has stopped working" and other similar errors. They've now gone but that may well be part of the issue I'm now having.

Any suggestions or help you can provide would be greatly appreciated - pretty much out of ideas at this stage. If you need any info about anything then let me know and I'll post it here. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Can you check if all these services are started?

DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery, and UPnP Device Host

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users