Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out what's hogging my system's physical memory

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 morganj23

morganj23

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hello All,

Really hoping someone can help me with this. For the past few months, something's been using up a big chunk of my physical memory. I have 6 gigs of memory. When I start my computer, before I open any browsers or apps, I'm already using 40-50% of my available memory and the computer is overheating. I've tried manually terminating processes one by one, even uninstalling a bunch of programs I don't use anymore, but nothing seems to work. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

I was able to get some great help in the Virus forum, confirmed it's not malware. But I still have this issue, and can't figure it out. Ran a bunch of diagnostics, you can find it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/485609/cant-figure-out-whats-hogging-my-systems-physical-memory/

Also, I should note, a few months ago, I had to send my computer back to the manufacturer because the RAM failed. When I think about it, I don't think my computer has been the same since then. Was thinking it was memory related, but Memtest did not find any issues at all.

Thank you in advance, all. 

Regards,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I noticed the computer is overheating part.

--- If your computer is a desktop, see if you can find where the overheating is coming from

--- Unless the computer is still covered under warranty, remove the side panel and check it out

--- The processor fan, heat sink and/or processor could be at fault and the RAM is exhausting itself trying to go through all its registries or whatever it has to do and high CPU usage is a result

--- But then of course the overheating can be caused can be something else, but see if you can localize the source

--- You have had problems with the computer and it's getting worse because the company didn't fix the actual problem and replacing the memory was only helpful but ...

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

According to post #9 in the link you provided, it reports Number of processors: 8

--- I remember reading once that someone was having trouble with their computer and found out that it wasn't running on all processors the way it was supposed to and they fixed their issue by making the right adjustment

--- I'm not advanced enough to recall the details and I can't say whether or not a different setting in your processor could be an issue but I did find the following link if you want to check out how your processor is set.

http://slowpctexpert.blogspot.com/2010/12/speed-up-windows-7-adjust-number-of.html

--- At the same time I don't understand how it would contribute to overheating but maybe it will help in identifying whether or not the processor is defective

#4 morganj23

morganj23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Larry-

Thanks for the starting point. It's a laptop, and I'm not really comfortable taking that apart. I took a look at the link you sent, and I set the CPU's to 8 in the boot settings. But it seems to have had no impact. So I'm hoping you or someone else can help me look into this. Please let me know, and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Jim

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Is the computer still under warranty so you can have the overheating condition checked out?

--- As you mentioned the computer hasn't been running well since you got it back and I believe its because the root cause of your original problem wasn't taken care of

--- I would contact the manufacturer and discuss what they will do as a followup service

It makes sense that you do not want to take your laptop apart but underneath the laptop you have covers to expose underlying parts

--- Maybe you can localize the source of the overheating section

--- I know I mentioned  the fan, heat sink and/or processor but it could certainly be something else

--- But the idea is if there is overheating that needs to be addressed under the warranty or local computer repair person because if something needs to be replaced the computer will need to be taken apart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users