Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer froze up and cannot get it to start again

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 daisydo

daisydo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Hi, (reposting this as I put it in the wrong section - sorry) 

I have an HP Pavilion desktop, OS is Win XP SP with IE 8 (I think it is!) and AVAST Free AV updated version yesterday. Today I booted it up, all ok, went into one yahoo mail account, then a 2nd one and then the screen froze. I could not get out of it, no cntrl alt del would come up, I could do nothing so closed PC down on the unit. Have tried since then to reboot PC but on screen comes up "going to sleep" and screen switches off and unit stays on, I cannot do anything at all except switch off the unit, it's not even booting up. Tried a different monitor but same happens.....unit is kaput methinks.

Question is, could updating to AVAST version 7.0. - - - - have caused this malfunction? When I booted up yesterday and Avast updated virus definitions it said it had a newer version and I am sure it said version 7.0 so I just clicked ok and it did it with no problems, in fact took very little time to download (unlike other versions I've done). I didn't use the PC very long after it did what it had to do, it restarted the PC and all was ok then I came off. Haven't used it since then until this morning when it gave up the ghost. I have never ever had a PC do this to me (the little swine lol).

If not due to Avast new version, what could have happened? Remember I cannot even get into the PC as it won't boot up but is there anyway I can get it to do that? I do not have installation disks and I am not au fait with technological stuff or doing much at all with computers apart from very basic things. I really would appreciate your comments/suggestions please, but if I feel I cannot cope I will have to say.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to pass my way. Cheers.

Edited by hamluis, 03 March 2013 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

I deleted your topic in the other forum...what model HP system is this, please?

Louis

#3 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for deleting the other post hamluis.  The pavilion model is a640 uk as far as I can ascertain and it's a few years old now.  One thing I couldn't understand about the Avast download was the it was version 7.0 when I found out after that there is a version 8.0.  Makes me wonder if the thing was a rogue and virus though I hope not.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:44 PM

HP support webpage, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=47307&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=429261 .

You say that the system won't start...does that mean that there is no sign that power is flowing or any of the compnents are working?

As far as Avast goes...it should make little difference whether you updated to version 7 or version 8...neither product is capable of bring a system to a halt.

There seem to be several instances of this with HP systems, see http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Audio-Video-Monitors/Computer-issue-Monitor-giving-quot-monitor-going-to-sleep/td-p/250127 .

More hopeful HP documentation:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00061509&dlc=en&product=459838 .

Louis

#5 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hi Luis

The unit does switch on and the little processor light starts working for a few seconds and then stops but the light for power on the unit still keeps on and the fan is running.  The monitor when I switch it on has the light on it, the the wording, "going to sleep" appears on a black screen and then the monitor goes into standby!  I then have to turn the unit off by holding the power button in until it switches off.

Thank you for the links, I will have a look at those and have a read.

#6 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hi Louis

Have read about this happening to the HP models, seems it's the same thing but now I don't know what to do lol (read...clueless).  I wonder if I should contact HP support and ask their suggestion, the pc is 9 years old this year not that I want to replace it but wondering if it will be able to be put back as it was?  Will have lost photo's and documents etc but nothing too valuable but it would be nice to get it working again.

Thanks for helping me out.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

If it's an HP problem...I would contact HP.

Louis

#8 daisydo

daisydo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

Hi Louis

Well that's what it seems so I will try and contact them and/or see if someone can do something with it as I don't really want to dispose of the desktop I'm used to XP and prefer that to Win 7 atm.  Thanks for your help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users