Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN Home Page Blank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Techdummy

Techdummy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:24 AM

On March 1st, out of the blue, my MSN Home Page started displaying a blank page with "Blank" showing on the lower left toolbar. It's only happening on my laptop running XP/SP3 and IE8. Didn't happen on my other machines with Windows 7. I did a search online and discovered lots of folks having this problelm but I'm not sure I like the suggestions some of those folks have for fixing it. I already tried clearing my cache, restarting, etc. No good. One person suggested unchecking "Preserve Favorites" before clearing the temp files, browsing history again BUT won't I then lose the hundreds of favorites I have bookmarked? If that's the case, bye-bye MSN.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:27 AM

When you reset Internet Explorer you do can uncheck Preserve Favorites and you will not lose them.

Preserving Favorites has nothing to do with bookmarked pages. In this case it refers to things such as your home page (which will be changed to MSN if you have a different homepage), saved sign in names and passwords, default search provider (will be changed to Bing) and other things related to how you have IE set up.

Resets home pages, search providers and Accelerators to default setting. Deletes temporary Internet files,
history, cookies, web form information, Activex Filtering and Tracking Protection data, and passwords.

I have reset IE many times, each time unchecking Preserve Favorites and have NEVER lost my bookmarked sites.

#3 Techdummy

Techdummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Queen Evie--Thanks for the response. When you refer to "resetting" IE, are you just referring to clearing the temp files, browsing history, etc. or is "resetting" a separate procedure?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

How to reset Internet Explorer settings - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 .

Louis

#5 gobigblu9

gobigblu9

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Oddly enough I am having the same issue on one of my work PCs. I have reset IE and briefly it worked but then reverted back. If I find more I will update it here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users