Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard support 2400Mhz Ram?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Davidian

Davidian

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:15 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard will support 2400mhz ram as I have seen a deal on some and would like to purchase some. 

On the spec of the board it says; Memory Type: DDR3-1066/1333/1600/1866

However in the past I have had mobos that actually supported higher clock speeds but when they were released they just listed the largest clock speed available. 

I have been googling, and haven't found a specific answer - I've found a few vague yesses but you guys here are so well informed I thought you might know the answer. 

On the Asus site the ram it says it supports is only 4 gig chips which is silly as it has 4 slots and supports up to 32gb ram

also this gets released in March at some point: http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/#overview - worth getting this mobo over it's predecessor?

Also has anyone used the site: http://www.trusthardware.co.uk/

They have some great (but suspiciously cheap) prices, and scamadvisor checks them out as safe. 

The site is a bit slow, but that could just be the time I am browsing it as when I came across it a couple of days ago I didn't notice it being slow. 

Thanks for your help folks

Edited by Davidian, 03 March 2013 - 06:55 AM.

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

I found the board on the ASUS website and didn't see any mention of 4gb being the limit...
http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/#specifications

Only thing I saw was that you'll need to use a 64bit OS as the 32bit operating systems will likely only recognize 3gb.

As far as the speed goes...  Make sure someone else replies before you listen to this thought... my memory isn't perfect...  but my understanding was that if you put in memory that's faster than the motherboard supports, it will clock it down.  Again, double check before you listen to me on that one.  I could be wrong.

#3 Davidian

Davidian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

No there was no mention of 4gb of being the limit

It says 32gb is the limit but when you look at the memory it supports (there is a pdf) it doesn't display any more than 2 x 4gb sets. - which is strange considering it is a 32gb board

I am sure it is just them being lazy with the testing. 

I think with the boards, if you get really fast ram the processor also has to support it...

I think the processor I am looking at getting only supports up to 2133mhz

They've sold out of that ram now anyway - considering it was on sale for £50 and was worth about £150 I am not surprised, I should have bought some just to resell. 

On a side note though...

The Gen 3  R2.0 is out "something this month hopefully" - should I wait to buy that rather than buying the plane old 2.0?

Edited by Davidian, 04 March 2013 - 07:01 PM.

facebook.pngtwitter.pngsoundcloud.png

#4 BeeDub

BeeDub

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

I know this is kind of an old thread but I thought I would verify that you are able to put 8gig sticks in the sabertooth. I am currently using 2x Kingston hyper beast 2400's but not at full speed yet. They capped out around 2000 for me. I'm still adjusting settings so I will reply back if I achieve higher.

I am on a gen3 board though fyi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users