Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kai_0900

Kai_0900

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:29 AM

I plugged in a second hard drive about 5 months ago to my new computer (operating system is XP). My old hard drive had windows 98, i think.... It worked great. I was able to save my music and pictures and such on my second hard drive... but I deleted window 98 from that hard drive.. it still worked.

So I was having some problems with my computer. and unplugged my old drive. Started up my computer.. fixed what I had to. and then shut it off and plugged in the old hard drive again. (so I had two again) but now when I have both drives plugged in.. when I restart my computer it says no operating system found.. So I unplugged the second drive again... and now of course it works. But I have none of the files from my other drive. I have tried to restart and plug it in 3 times now and have gotten "No Operating System Found" each time. do I need and operating system on my second hard drive again??

My original hard drive is the one with XP and is plugged into the first hard dive plug. It worked before.. so what's going on?? how do I fix this and get both hard drives up and running again.

Thank You.
-Thomas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:21 AM

If both drives are on the same IDE interface cable, is the jumper on one set to Master and the other to Slave and did you change the jumpers properly when adding and removing the drives? Note the jumper setting vary depending on the HDD manufacturer and are usually listed on the drive itself.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:30 AM

Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx

On computers that contain Windows 98 (or Windows Me) and Windows XP:
As in the cases above, Windows 98 or Windows Me must be installed on a basic disk on a partition formatted with FAT or FAT32. If Windows 98 or Windows Me is not installed on the system partition, which is almost always the first partition on the disk, the system partition must also be formatted with FAT or FAT32.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../multiboot.mspx

#4 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:54 AM

I receive the following PM from Kai_0900:

Thanks for your help.
It's still not working. so..
I tried a different computer to plug in my second hard drive. It doesn't say "no opperating system found" but it doesn't read the drive at all. I have it as the slave drive and such. Still nothing. Is the hard drive dead? is there anything I can do?

My device manager doesn't read it either. I'm really puzzled. If you could help it would be great. Thanks.

Since I don't have an answer, I figured that I would post the the PM so that someone else may be able to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users