Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Avast 8

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

The new Avast 8 free version comes with a browser cleanup feature for unwanted toolbars and plugins with details and user ratings. The browser cleanup tool is also available for non avast users as a separate standalone portable version which may come handy for double checking your Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome's status (enabled/disabled) addons.

Tekken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:19 AM

It also shows up with a Software Updater which seems to act in the same manner as the Secunia PSI app, which checks your computer's programs/app to see if they need updating.

Please note that if you update from Avast7, this will install along with the aforementioned Browser Cleanup feature mentioned by jhayz.

The one element of the Software Updater that I didn't really like *at all* was that you could turn it "Off" from the Settings Menu but upon reboot it was turned back "On".   The only way to keep it turned off was to remove it... :thumbdown:

I did not like either one of the apps and was able to remove them both by Control Panel > Selecting Avast8 > Uninstall/Change > and then performing a Custom Install from there, removing the features I didn't want/need.

A small nuisance but worth it since Avast is still free and works pretty darn well with MWB.

Thought you should know.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

I like it as it is.

You don't have to run the Browser Cleanup.

Nothing will download through the Software Updater, if you uncheck the boxes in Settings and you can also have any programs listed, ignored, if you wish.

I'm happy for the program to remind me that programs need updating, Flash Player, Java, etc.

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I like it as well, I just prefer mine a little tweaked is all.

I also didn't want the Software Updater coming back ON after every reboot.

Removing / unchecking aspects of the program (and being able to do so easily) that I don't want/need is yet another reason I still love Avast!

I hope my post didn't lead anyone to think otherwise.

As for the reminder of programs that need updating, I'm a huge fan of Secunia PSI (version 2, mind you, which is still available, thankfully) which I learned about here at BC and have used ever since.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#5 jhayz

jhayz
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:18 AM

I also didn't want the Software Updater coming back ON after every reboot.

I have yet to experience that pop-up reminder (?), as for now it is somehow a background process update not unless you open the Avast SU menu. Since the latest updated version is just 5 days installed on my desktop computer.

Tekken

#6 AlbertBarkley

AlbertBarkley

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:55 AM

Wow. I was using Awast 7 version. Will upgrade now to Avast 8..

#7 Rekhillbill

Rekhillbill

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hello,

I am very new to the forum & BleepingComputer.com, too.  Just recovering from two rootkit infections & this is probably my 12th post?

I decided to buy Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 & had Amazon overnight a copy...trying to get my wife's laptop up an running again!!!!!!!

I tried to install it on my laptop, both are Toshibas with Windows 7, & it immediately started asking me for permission for various start up "autoruns", including my Logitech keyboard!

I cancelled the installation and am returming it to Amazon!

I then downloaded version 8 of Avast Internet Security.  It installed without any "complaints" about my Logitech keyboard or any thing else.

I am very happy so far.  :thumbup2:

Best,

Bill

#8 RompinRaider

RompinRaider

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Same here...been using Avast IS 8 since the release and no issues. I have been trying most of the new releases from various products but find Avast with some features that I really like and easy to use.  :thumbup2:

#9 AlbertBarkley

AlbertBarkley

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

I also have upgraded my Avast 7 to 8. Its more lighter than the previous one and has more functionalities than the previous one.

#10 Agglomerate

Agglomerate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

I notice it's lighter on resources, but comes with un-wanted JUNKWARE in my opinion. I custom installed to remove them. I use other tools for these purposes, although convenient, I don't want them all in one package. Just my .02 cents.

- Agglomerate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users