Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built computer operating system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Huntwi

Huntwi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Recently my friend got a old computer and its hard drive was formatted, now that its up and running with all the cords I told him I would put an operating system in it. One problem it won't recognize the flash drive of my only copy of windows 7. And there is also no operating system in it too. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_G4JC_*

Guest_G4JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

Head on over to DistroWatch and hook him up with a nice user-friendly Linux distro! Like LinuxMint. :busy:

Alternatively give a look at CloneZilla and see if you can clone a copy of Windows onto his computer. The issue with this is you will need to reactivate Windows on the new hardware - make sure you have all the Windows Keys and support numbers on hand if needed.

Edited by G4JC, 02 March 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:19 AM

And there is also no operating system in it too. What do I do?

Hello

You must first purchase a new, legal version of Windows unless you install a Linux Version -

Alternatively give a look at CloneZilla and see if you can clone a copy of Windows onto his computer.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 03 March 2013 - 05:24 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:54 AM

In older computers the BIOS may or may not be capable of setting it up to boot from a flash drive.  You will need to look in the BIOS to determine if it can be enabled with this computer.

The point regarding the installation of a Windows operating system has been made.  But I wish to add that if this is a OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) like Dell, Gateway,etc., the copy of a Windows operating system is intended for one installation in one computer.  One of the things Microsoft looks at is a change in the motherboard to determine if this is the OEM computer the operating system was originally installed in.  When you go to active the operating system you are going to have to explain why the motherboard doesn't mesh with their information.

If this is a retail copy it is still intended for one installation in one computer, but it can be reinstalled in another as long as the copy is no longer being used in another computer.  The only way you can install a Windows operating system in two or more computers is if you have a license for multiple installations.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users