Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Guard Bot Alert Emails and Popups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FXWG

FXWG

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

After many emails and annoying popups from Constant Guard, I called Comcast tech support. They told me they could not help with it so I would need to talk to Constant Guard. CG tells me that its a virus that they'll be glad to get rid of for $129.99. Another call to Comcast and I'm told not to pay them anything but instead call Norton. Norton tells me that if their program is up to date and does not detect anything then it does not exist. Another call to Comcast And I'm put through to the Comcast Customer Security Assurance Center, who finally tells me that the way they are determining that I have a bot is though their own website called http://www.amibotted.com They will tell you how many different bots are detected, and how many times and at what time they were last detected. It will even let you download an Excel csv file of the report. I am told the bot that infects my computer is called a Multi_CriminalFinancial_Search_HijackerMo. If you google that name you'll come up with a few hits mostly on Norton and Comcast's own forums where there is a lot of bleeping but precious little information about it. One thing I did pick up though was that it was somehow connected to a couple of rootkits. I went back to Malwarebytes and downloaded their free rootkit tool and ran that. It picked up 2 phibar viruses. After it rebooted I kept watching http://www.amibotted.com and the clock never updated. 24 hours later it gave me a clean bill of health. I'm still not really sure why some of these other programs were unable to ferret this out but after over a week of pulling my hair out, I am just glad its gone.

A list of my own efforts:

1. Norton Anti-Virus
  2. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  3. ComboFix
  4. Adware Cleaner
  5. Security Check
  6. Rogue Killer
  7. Spybot Search and Destroy
  8. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit   < This is the one that worked for me.

A list of things tried suggested by Comcast and Norton :

1. Update Java
  2. Update windows
  3. Update Norton
  4. Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
  5. TDSS Killer
  6. Immunet
  7. Secunia PSI

Edited by FXWG, 02 March 2013 - 06:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Boopme asked you to

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here with logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Good luck

#3 FXWG

FXWG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I fixed it. I got rid of the bot. Even Comcast's website says that my computer is clear now. I just posted this to update my first post and in an attempt to possibly help other people with the same problem. I'm sorry if I was not clear about that or if I posted in the wrong place.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

Thankyou for the update :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users