Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless problems :(

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Double44

Double44

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

I recently installed a new water heater which has affected the wireless signals coming from my router, and I'm no longer able to receive wireless signals in two different rooms like before. I have been searching for ways on how to improve the wireless signal and I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Both rooms have ethernet faceplate/walljacks which directly receive internet from two ports on my router, making each of them a wired connection. Because I'm having trouble getting a wireless signal in both rooms, I want to know if there is a 'device' out there that would let me connect an ethernet cable to the wall and 'it', then let me stream data wirelessly from 'it' as if 'it' were a router?

I was looking at these things called 'homeplugs', and while they seem to have the right concept in mind, I don't think they are exactly what I'm looking for. All I need is something that will receive a wired ethernet cable, then let me stream internet from it while plugged into a power source at the same time. Is there such a thing out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

Try reading from this link http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556 regarding wirelessly setting up a new access point.

Tekken

#3 Double44

Double44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Try reading from this link http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556 regarding wirelessly setting up a new access point.

I appreciate your comment!.. though I'm not sure what a wireless access point is or how it relates to my inquiry? Could you maybe explain a little more?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

There are actually powerline wifi adapters or homeplugs available as explained from one link, but since you mentioned -

Both rooms have ethernet faceplate/walljacks which directly receive
internet from two ports on my router, making each of them a wired
connection.

It would be better to use another router (access point) and from the link above states

Instead of using your wireless router as intended (NAT routing, DHCP client/server, PPPoE
client, etc.), converting it into a wireless access point will save you a lot of headaches and make the configuration much simpler.

In essence, the new wireless router/access point needs to be configured to use a LAN IP address in your network range (the same subnet as your other devices), and you need to connect one of its LAN ports to the existing gateway/router. Do not use the Internet/WAN port on the wireless router to be used as an acces point.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users