Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Turning Itself Off

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grunter

grunter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 07:12 AM

i need some help with my laptop, it shuts itself off without warning occasionally especially when i perform virus scans. i posted a hijack this log in the other forum but they said that the laptop was clean and suggested that i posted in this froum.

the laptop does get very hot underneath it and i think this might be the cause of it shutting down all the time. i usually run virus scans first thing when i turn the computer on but surely it couldnt heat up that quickly and turn itself off.

could someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

... but surely it couldnt heat up that quickly and turn itself off.

It sure can!

Make sure that the fans are running and that dust is cleared from any ventilation ports in the case.

If you have a laptop with one of the one of the following processors:
  • Mobile Pentium III-M
  • Mobile Pentium 4-M
  • Mobile Pentium 4
  • Mobile Pentium M / Centrino
  • Mobile AMD
You may be able to slow the processor down to prevent overheating. See the following:

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:16 PM

You may want to take it to be professionally cleaned if you can't do not want to or don't know how to open the case yourself to clean it.

Blocked airflow can trash your computer in a hurry.

#4 grunter

grunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

i'll try n clean it out, i managed to do all virus and spyware scans earlier on with no problems and no spyware or viruses were found. i hope this will be the end of my problems with the laptop.

thanks for the help anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users