Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to enter bios, i dont have the setup password.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cpunoob

cpunoob

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

hp 7935

winxp

im trying to remove my floppy from the start up process, since it keeps giving me error messages about it, but im having trouble entering bios

on a black screen with some pc info on it, at the bottom im eventually given the options

press f1 to setup or f2 to resume

ive pressed f1 and i need a password to enter what im assuming is the bios screen, it locks when i dont enter the right one.

i have entered the bios screen some years ago but never needed a password.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

You can reset your BIOS password by removing the battery or shorting the motherboard pins. I suggest you to try the  removing battery option.

Open your computer and look for a battery, it will be like a watch battery. Remove it and wait for 10-15 min and reinsert the battery again. This will reset the BIOS to default and it wont ask for password any more.

http://tokeepmypcup.com/Workshop/May_2012/Reseting_BIOS_by_removing_motherboard_battery.html

Regards,

Chris

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

What has been suggested with the battery is known as clearing the CMOS.  It can be done as suggested by removing the battery and then reinstalling it.  The other is used with desktop computer, this method involves three pins which are mounted on the motherboard close to the CMOS battery.  There is a jumper which connects two of these three pins, the middle pin is used in both ways it is connected.  To clear the CMOS, remove the jumper and replace it so that it is connecting the pin which was previously not connected, then replace the jumper to its original position.

What is the make and model of this computer?

How are you trying to access the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Model number

• P5267A

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06799&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/bph06799/loc:2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=62755#N50

the only way that i knew how to get into bios in the past was to wait for the blue hp logo screen, then press f1

now i dont see a blue hp logo screen, i just see that black screen

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

For the HP Pavilion there are three F keys, F1, F10, or F11.  You will have to try these one at a time until you find the one which works.  When you press the power button start tapping the F key, if it continues to boot into the operating system you will need to try the next one and so on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

For accessing the boot menu and If the recommended F keys don't work try ESC

--- On my friends HP Pavilion, he tells me the ESC key gets him into the boot menu

--- It could be that even though you are pressing FI to get into Setup the computer is still trying to access the floppy drive and that's probably why you see the black screen

The request for a password to get into Setup is still a mystery right now

--- If the request for a password still persists, reset the BIOS as recommended

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

It could be that even though you are pressing FI to get into Setup the computer is still trying to access the floppy drive and that's probably
why you see the black screen

When you use a F key to access a specific function it doesn't boot into the operating system as it normally does, so it won't matter if it looks at the FDD first or not. :thumbup2:

#8 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:53 AM

simple question if i remove the battery

will i lose anything saved on my pc 8)

im guessing no, but just want to know 8)

#9 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

You wont lose the data saved on your PC. The data on your PC resides on hard disk which will not get affected when you remove your battery.

Removing Battery will Reset the BIOS configuration to its default state.

Regards,

Purush

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

There are two types of memory, RAM (Random Access Memory) and ROM (Read Only memory).  ROM consists of media such as you hdd, DVDs, CD, flash drives, etc.  This memory will remain as it is left unless there is damage to the media.

RAM is volatile, it only keeps data when the memory is powered.

#11 cpunoob

cpunoob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:41 AM

finally did it lol

it worked

i disabled my busted floppy in the bios, had to reset my time and date, said it was like 1988

that was all i had to do

thanks

8)

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thank you for letting us know your solution

Make sure the time stays maintained, if you start losing time, replace the CMOS battery (its a CR2032) without hesitation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users