Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Or Microsoft Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 codajohn

codajohn

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:42 AM

I decided to check out Dell's porduct support site.
I went through the Dell 9100 Driver section and compared my current Driver dates with the Drivers listed with Dell. Most of my drivers were not current as per their date listings. I always check with the MS Update site and haven't had any Driver update notifications.
Should I listen to MS or Dell? :thumbsup:
Thanks,
CJ
Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2, 2.80 gh Pent 4, ST94811A 40.01 GB, External 250 GB Maxtor HD, 2GB Ram, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A, External LG-5163D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2gh Pent4, 120gb HD, 1GB Ram, BenqDW 1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:41 AM

Hi codajohn.
Never get your drivers from MS.
Always get them from the manufacturer of the computer system or if you build your own, from the individual hardware makers.
If you're not addressing any driver issues, there's no need to upgrade them at all.
It's the ol' "if it aint broke, dont fix it" thing. :thumbsup:

#3 codajohn

codajohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:16 AM

It's the ol' "if it aint broke, dont fix it" thing. :thumbsup:

Nothing is broken. It's just that some of the new drivers are two years past the dates of the original drivers.
CJ :flowers:

Edited by codajohn, 04 April 2006 - 08:34 AM.

Dell Inspiron 9100 Laptop, Windows XP Home SP 2, 2.80 gh Pent 4, ST94811A 40.01 GB, External 250 GB Maxtor HD, 2GB Ram, NEC DVD+RW ND-6100A, External LG-5163D, ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700

IBM ThinkCenter 8189, XP Pro, 3.2gh Pent4, 120gb HD, 1GB Ram, BenqDW 1650 BCIC, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:04 AM

That's ok. I built this sytem 2 years ago myself and have never upgraded any drivers.
They're not like security updates. If I ever run across a situation or problem with an application that a driver update will cure, then sure, I'll do it. But until then, no need. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users