Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display problem - not seeing anything at start up or there after

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

Hi. I was watching a streaming video today when my Laptop froze up. It was unresponsive and I had to reset it by holding the power button. Upon reboot the display was acting funny. I had unusual patterns of blue pixels during start up when it is usually black background and white text. The machine then failed to start up and I got a BSOD memory dump. I tried booting a few times with similar experience. I then booted into Safe Mode successful. At this point there was also strange pixel patterns on my desktop background which changed if I cursor'd over them. I checked to see if the Display Driver was up to date. It said it was. So I decided to uninstall the Display Adapter/Device and reboot, thinking the device driver would automatically be reinstalled. Now when I boot I get nothing on screen at all. Nothing. Not even the usual white text/BIOS messages or any strange pixels. But after a while I hear the usual tones that I get when the machine arrives at the log in screen. So I think its booting but just not displaying anything.

I wondering if I should unplug the graphics card and reinstall to see if that helped it detect new hardware, but I do not know how to access the graphics card in a laptop. If I take the back covers off the laptop I see 2 hard disks and some RAM chips but not a lot else. The machine is an HP Pavillion model no. dv9689ea.

The sticker on the back of the machine says:

Product: HP Pavillion dv9500

s/n: CNF74327NX

p/n: GX455EA#ABU

The machine has Vista SP2.

I would really appreciate if anybody can help me to get my display working again.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

The laptop's video chip is soldered to the motherboard as it is unlikely replaceable. Have you tried using an external monitor on VGA/HDMI connection?

Tekken

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:07 AM

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Are you saying you checked out the spec of my machine and that it is an integrated graphics module, as opposed to a seperate chip? I had been thinking I may be able to replace the graphics card, but maybe not....

Last night I carried on trying to get the machine to work. I left it on for a while and it appeared to be doing nothing, then it rebooted and started up with display. I reinstalled the latest graphics drivers. I think the graphics module is a Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS. I got it all working fine for a while, then the machine crashed and I got a load of pixel patterns on my screen again. Now I am back to no display at all when I try to boot up.

By the way, I now realise my original post did not mention that I was streaming the video to my TV via the HDMI socket on my Laptop.

Do you think this is likely a fatal graphics/hardware failure?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

It surely is pointing to a failing graphics chip due to thermal or heat events basing from your posts. More information on the symptoms and causes http://laptopandconsolerepair.com/privacy_policy.html

Tekken

#5 Stephen W

Stephen W
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Hi. Having looked into this problem a bit further I have discovered that my Laptop, and many more like it, have an inherent defect known as the Nvidia Defect. Anybody with this problem is entitled to claim against the retailer of their Laptop up to 6 years after the date of purchase. For more information and help through this process, the following website is extremely helpful http://www.nvidiadefect.com/

Thanks jhayz for your help.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I will bookmark this link Stephen as this seems to be a new revelation and quite a good news to all users affected with the defective models. Thanks for sharing back what you've found out. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users