Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New dv7..wifi won't auto connect half the time

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 woodsman345

woodsman345

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

Hi all,

I am not sure what the problem is...new HP dv7-7300 windows 8 and an  i7  and the wifi connects most of the time if I let it set for about 10 seconds after shutdown, then restart. The troubleshooting part of the wifi does not come up with anything.

If I select restart and it reboots right away I see a little star or something on my signal icon which I am thinking is limited connectivity, not sure. I have to connect manually even though it is set to auto. If it sits for 5-10 minutes it will eventually connect. Router seems fine, another machine always works fine using it.

I installed an SSD right away and the machine works flawlessly aside from this issue. I didn't notice this problem with the original HD but only used it for a few hours and didn't do any quick restarts.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

Did you reinstall Windows 8 on the new ssd or cloned the drives? If you reinstalled, its possible you missed a driver or are using an outdated one. In my experience, most of the connectivity issues in Windows 8 are due to drivers.

#3 labougie

labougie

• Security Colleague
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi Woodsman,

Hello Grinler, smile_chinois.gif,

Sorry fo my bad english,

The same problem is known on Acer laptop. I've some phone call with the builder cause i work in an after sell center.

The solution proposed is:

• Go to the bios by pressing "F2" key
  • Hit "F9" key
  • Hit "F10" key
  • Answer "yes" to valid the default settings
  • Restart your laptop
  • Go back to the builder website and find a new bios version

With your Hp laptop, use the P/n under your battery, it looks like 12345EA#ABF this is the P/n product number

Take care of the version you'll find, sometimes you'll find 2 choises

• Upgrade from 7 to 8
  • Not upgrade windows version (that is to say this laptop comes with 8 version)

Before applies, wait for an other solution, cause i'm new on this forum, and I don't want to crash your computer

This method resolve also the "plane mode".

Thanks for reading

Labougie

Edited by labougie, 07 March 2013 - 05:28 PM.

I'll never give up.

I'll do not back down from any challenge.

ardet nec consumitur

#4 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

I cloned the drive . I also updated the BIOS as labouge suggested. Still screwing up and could not talk to my router thru the LAN connection but could still get internet. That was odd. I could talk to the router thru the wifi connection so I started thinking that this router must not like this new hardware or windows 8. I poked around a little and found a firmware update for the router and so far it has connected to wifi on a restart all but 1 time in 2 days so something happened to make this situation better.

Thanks !

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Terrific! Thanks for the info Labougie and woodsman345 :!

#6 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

I had to leave it alone for a while and think about it......

It kept screwing up and not connecting on restarts and I finally figured out that Windows 8 for whatever reason with the Intel Centrino wireless adapter does NOT like the router WPA2-PSK security setting whereas my Win 7 machine and another machine have no problem with it. I'll be darned. I notice Intel just came out with another driver for it so I will give it a whirl.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Good luck and let us know how it works. I personally do not think this is Windows 8, but the driver itself. If there is a way to show debug messages in the wireless adapter software, it may help see whats causing the drops.

#8 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have a new dv7t quad i7, which was having the same issues.  I went into my wireless settings and shut off ipv6, and this helped a lot.  Just keep in mind, all my wireless devices are still using ipv4, and every router is not the same...  I have a linksys E3000 N and most of the time this laptop is on the edge of the N network. 

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#9 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

As Grinler suggested earlier it might be a driver due to a bungled clone job but I put the original HD back in which was new and used for about 15 minutes and it didn't help.

I installed the latest Intel Centrino driver and that didn't help either so I backed up a notch to the HP recommended driver again.

I do not see any way to get debug messages.

TriggerJinxed it is using ipv4 and I am thinking the Netgear router may not be up to snuff even though it works fine on the other machines with the heavier encyption.

I hate to buy a new one and then it doesn't solve the problem. I moved the channel all over the place and I do not have any other devices that could interfere as far as I know.

It is fine now with the lower encryption. Is that really something to worry about up here in the sticks ? Can it be cracked from some hack in Asia or does someone need to be nearby?

Thanks

#10 woodsman345

woodsman345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

After all kinds of messing around I found out I can run WPA2 if I set the transfer rate (I assume that is what it is called.) of the router from "up to 54 MBS" to "up to 150 MBS".

Connects fine now. I'll be darned.

I have no clue why this new DV7 is different from my DV6 with Win 7 or a friends DV6 with Vista.

Thanks.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Interesting..thanks for the tip and your solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users