Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changing bios priority in magalh„es pc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mousegreat

mousegreat

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:46 AM

Allo everybody i have a pc in my home wich is a portuguese made pc , its called "magalhães" the pc doesn`t have cd drive , the only way i can format it is by usb, the problem that i have is that the pc has a ransomware virus and , i instaled a program called hitman pro kickstart in a usb flash drive to try and remove the infection,

so i went to the bios boot device priority to change boot order and it apears the following

:BOOT ORDER:

1:HDD:SAMSUNG HM161HI-(S1)

2:USB HDD:TOSHIBA TRASMEMORY-(USB 2

3:USB KEY

4:USB CDROM

I NEED TO CHANGE NUMBER 2 TO NUMBER ONE! NUMBER TWO IS MY USB FLASH DRIVE, THE PROBLEM IS THAT I CANT FIGURE OUT WICH ARE THE KEYS TO CHANGE THE ORDER  IN THE HELP MENU I HAVE THIS:

KEYS USED TO VIEW OR CONFIGURE DEVICES:

UP AND DOWN ARROWS SELECT A DEVICE.

<+> AND <-> MOVES THE DEVICE UP AND DOWN.

<*> EXCLUDE OR INCLUDE THE DEVICE TO BOOT

select. item -/+

I JUST CANT MOVE THE OPTION TWO AND PUT IT IN NUMBER ONE I HAVE TRIED A LOT OF KEY STROKES BUT I JUST NOT DOING THINGS WELL!

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP SORRY MY MISTAKES

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

As this is your first post, welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Are you saying the + and - keys don't cause the selection to move in the list once you select it with the up/down arrows? It might be necessary to use the dedicated + and - keys in the number keypad, or if the keyboard doesn't have a number pad, there might be a function key to change keys to numeric action. For example my Asus netbook uses the blue Fn key to change / to +, and ; for -.

As an alternative, can you use * key to exclude the hard drive item 1 from the boot, which would make the USB the first boot device?

Edited by Platypus, 02 March 2013 - 06:48 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

In my experience...to change a BIOS setting may require...selecting the item you wish to change with the keyboard, then hitting Enter to see the options for that item.

Hitting Enter will bring up the options...selecting the one you want involves selecting it via the keyboard then hitting Enter again.

My hard drive boot options and my boot options work that way.

I set the first option...before moving on to the others.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users