Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get the DOJ virus off my netbook and need to reinstall XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jmc7676

jmc7676

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

I've been redirected to post my question here.....I have a netbook w/o a CD/DVD drive and I can't get rid of the DOJ virus ....and I'm having trouble booting from USB because of the DOJ virus ....is there a way to erase the HD and reinstall XP?

Edited by jmc7676, 02 March 2013 - 02:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

If it's a netbook...there should be a restore-to-factory-default mechanism, installed by the manufacturer.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 jmc7676

jmc7676
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

It's a Gateway...(model #KAV60) not sure if that's right....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Take a look...

https://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/vista/7515418/7515418su531.shtml

Louis

#5 jmc7676

jmc7676
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

my BIOS doesn't have the "repair your computer" option... ( #5. on the link list)...(Freakin' piece of Crap.... Gateway) ....I was gonna try using xPUD to access the HD.....any thoughts?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,097 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

You could remove the drive and hook it up to another computer like an external drive

then clean the drive of malware....if you have access to another computer and the right

cable to connect the drive to the USB. Something to ponder....

3 options:

Amazon.com: Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure: Electronics (comments say USB cable included)

Amazon.com: Rosewill USB2.0 Adapter for IDE/SATA Device (Include Protection case) (RCW-608): Computers & Accessories

USB 2.0 to 2.5”/3.5” IDE + SATA Adapter with One Touch Backup - WeConnex (this one I have and used...did its job)

Edited by buddy215, 02 March 2013 - 05:27 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

FWIW:  I don't believe that Windows will allow registry entries (good or bad) to be removed from an infected hard drive reflecing an O/S which is not booted into.

Same might also be true of files in Docs & Settings...which would normally require taking ownership to access.

Just speculation on my part...based on my understanding of the Windows registry and Docs/Settings.

I believe that USB-connected tools work...because the infected hard drive is still in the correct system as a bootable drive.

Louis

#8 Guest_G4JC_*

Guest_G4JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:08 PM

Worst case scenario just wipe it and install Linux. EasyPeasy is a variant of Ubuntu optimized specifically for netbooks, comes recommended in my experiences.

#9 jmc7676

jmc7676
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

ok well this was a fortunate turn of events....I was playing around  trying to get familiar wtih xPUD....used "Testdisk"  to access partition on HD and erased it.....thought I screwed up 'cause it still wouldn't let me get through the XP setup w/o going to blue screen STOP error....rebooted xPUD....recovered partition...rebooted which triggered Gateway's Recovery tool .....Recovered to factory settings...and we are good to go....just like brand new...don't know how I managed to trigger the recovery tool but it worked....lol....thx for all the help guys....I appreciate the time and effort u guys put in to helping a Noob like me....THX...

Edited by jmc7676, 03 March 2013 - 01:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users