Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laserjet P1006 won't print with new PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

After going through an HDD failure on my old PC I finally broke down and purchased a new one today. I bought an HP Envy and I'm running Windows8 for the first time. 10GB RAM and 1 TB HD. I installed my Laserjet P1006 and ran a test page - everything is great. Printed something else, everything was fine. Tried to print a third document, and now I can no longer print with it. I get the dialog box that says "printing" and the status bar shows green all the way through and it *says* my document printed - but it didn't. And when I open the printer folder, it shows in there twice.

I also have another printer - an HP Photosmart 8700 large format printer. That one prints fine. Documents, pictures, test pages - no problem. Of course, the Laserjet is my 'default' printer and I use it to print shipping labels and invoices for my home based business.

Anyway... anyone that can tell me what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it? I really need my printer to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:50 PM

Hi,

Printers not printing is usually down to the drivers. I would be inclined to uninstall it, and re-install it. One small point, printers can be very fussy about the install sequence - some insist on the software being installed before you connect and switch on the printer, others want the printer connecting first. I think HP printers like the software installing before connecting. It might be worth checking the manual on this point. If you have mislaid it, you should be able to get it from the HP web-site.

One final point, although, as you say it worked once or twice, it might be worth checking the HP web-site for a driver for Win 8.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

Is the paper feeding properly?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

No one?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

No one?

You have had responses by two members.  Are you not seeing these?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

Sorry... I do see them and I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer about 12 times. They don't actually have a driver for Windows8, but the Windows7 x64 driver works. Not to mention that through Windows "Add a printer" option, my printer is listed so I tried that, as well, with no luck.

And I thought your "Is the paper feeding properly" was a joke.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

We have members with varied levels of abilities, sometimes you have to ask what may seem like a dumb question in order to understand exactly what we are dealing with.

Currently there are no drivers for the Laserjet P1006 printer using Windows 8 64-bit.

Edited by dc3, 06 March 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#8 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Right, I understand that there are no drivers specifically for Win8x64. I've been on the Microsoft website. I've been on HP's website.

I read online that people were having luck using the Win7x64 driver. Which is what I did. And it worked. Great. Until I installed my HP Photosmart 8700. Then it stopped working.

I've tried to uninstall and remove both printers but they won't seem to uninstall from the Printer list. I've re-installed both of them, and when I install them, and print a test page, it works. But when I try to print an actual document, like a shipping label or an invoice, I get nothing.

I now have multiple installations of each printer in my printers folder/list. I think I'm up to the XX-4 on each printer.

By going into the printers folder, and clicking on "Add a printer" both of my printer model numbers are provided in the list. They install properly. Whichever one I install first prints a test page just fine. Once I install the 2nd printer, the first one stops printing. So I decided not to install the 2nd printer, and just leave the laserjet installed since I use it more. It worked. For a few days. Then it stopped and now it won't print. Again.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Have you tired the suggestions here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users