Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replaced power supply, worked for a while and now will not boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rocknrollsteve

rocknrollsteve

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

Have a Dell Studio 540 w/ Windows Vista, power supply took a dump. We replaced it and the PC worked for a couple of hours, we ran CCleaner and installed Avast. Turned it off for the night, next day when powered on it began a series of two beeps and would not boot. Reseated the memory cards, stopped the beeping but still will not boot. The power indicator light does is steady and doesn't flash/blink and is its usual color. If I press the power button withen a few seconds of turning it on it goes right down. If I wait a few minutes after powering up I have to hold the power button for a while (as if it HAS booted up). It's almost like it has lost all video output but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

You replaced with a new PSU?

Can you...did you run the Dell Diagnostics?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 March 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#3 rocknrollsteve

rocknrollsteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

You replaced with a new PSU?

Can you...did you run the Dell Diagnostics?

Louis

Hey Louis, thanks for the reply. Yep. New PSU although it is 450W up from the 350w that originally came with it. Nothing comes up on the monitor at all (I tried a couple of different ones) but the disc drive drawer opens and lights on the keyboard and mouse work.

#4 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

Hi,

What is the colour of Power Indicator light in your monitor. Most monitors have different colour indicators to differentiate whether it is receving any video signal from the CPU. If your monitor is not receiving any Signal from the CPU, try a different graphics card.

Chris

Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users