Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD My Book External Hard drive stoped working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi there

I am having issues with my external hard drive WD My Book. I have tried everything I could find online but still cant make it to work.

I have tried the Partedmagic Linux boot up using testdisk but the deep search returns partition not available. I used the process with a usb stick when starting the computer (not sure that makes a difference than using the CD process).

The drive its an WD Scorpion 2TB and sttoped working a couple of days ago. Its shows on Windows 7 as Raw and unallocated under Disk Management but cant access its files.

I am gutted as it had a lot of photos and films i accumulated for many years. There is about 1.5tb of data in there.

i have taken the drive from its encloser so I could connect with a sata cable to my pc but nothing as worked.

The only thing I have not tried is cloning it into another drive as I do not have one big enough. I have tried to start the process to see if it would work but even that says partition unavailable even before i starts.

I even took it to a local pc shop today to see if anything could be done but they said they could not read it.

I am open to ideas.

Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

Hi

Was it still in the original enclosure when you tried TestDisk and taking it to the repair shop or was this done after removing it from the original enclosure?

James

#3 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hi thank you for reply to my problem.

I took it off the enclosure and just took the hard drive to the shop.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sometimes, WD MyBooks have encryption built in and turned on by default. It is controlled by a chip on a circuit board in the enclosure so removing the drive from the enclosure can make it so that data recovery tools will not work on it.

What happens when you try to recover data from it while it is in the enclosure?

James

#5 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

In windows 7 it comes up as a drive E but when I click on it it says : The disk may be corrupt and make sure the disk uses a format windows recognizes. 

When I tried testdisk it never finds the partition. It can see the drive but nothing else. When I try to analyze it, it returns partition unavailable at the end.

#6 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I have ordered a dock station to see if it works without the board in case the board is faulty.

Edited by MelvilleTheET, 02 March 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#7 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

I have decided to buy a new board online and see if this works. I am very desperate now.

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hi

I'm not sure what you mean by "new board" but if it is a new MyBook enclosure, that may not work since I believe that it will have a different encryption key than your original enclosure if that is what is preventing access.

Can you post the contents of the testdisk.log file that was created when you ran TestDisk?

James

#9 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

Hi

Can you send me instructions on how to do that?
Thank you

#10 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sure. Connect the drive in its original enclosure and run TestDisk in Windows.

Download TestDisk from
http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.13.win.zip
and extract it to your desktop.

Open the folder testdisk-6.13
Double click testdisk_win.exe to run it.
TestDisk is a console application so you have to use your keyboard to interact with it instead of your mouse.
Choose Create and hit enter (this makes the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13)
Select the drive and choose Proceed and hit enter
It should automatically have Intel selected (if not, select Intel and let me know) hit enter
Select Analyse and hit enter
Select Quick Search and hit enter
Say 'Y' if it asks if the disk was made in Vista/Win7 (even if it was made in XP say 'yes')
If you see any partition(s), highlight it and press
p
and see if you can see your files and folders there.
If there is more than one partition listed check each one for files and folders by getting back to the list of partitions found (pressing q), highlighting the next one and pressing p again.
If you can see your files and folders and it all looks normal then stop here and go down to the section below called POST TESTDISK.LOG

If anything does not look correct then continue on to the DEEPER SEARCH. Get to the screen showing the partitions that it found and press ENTER to coninue.
DEEPER SEARCH is an option at the bottom of the screen.
Highlight it and press ENTER
After the DEEPER SEARCH finishes, if you see the partition, do the same thing with pressing p to see if you can see your files and folders in any of the partitions found and then press
q
a bunch of times to get out of TestDisk.

POST TESTDISK.LOG
I'd like to see the contents of the file testdisk.log that is automatically created in the folder testdisk-6.13 it may just be called testdisk instead of testdisk.log if your Windows is set to hide known extensions and it will have a text file icon.

James

#11 MelvilleTheET

MelvilleTheET
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi James

Thank you for your help so far.

Got good news.

Don't know how but run test disk yesterday to send u to log for about the 10th time in a week and after doing the deep search a partition came up. I repaired the boot sector that was damaged and to my surprised it has come back in windows and seems to be working. Backed up most important data so dar. Music and films left.

Thinking about it I did use test disk under windows and not via boot up. And I used the nonbeta version. That could b possibly one of the reasons why it has worked. I have already ordered new pcb wd boards so I will report back if that would have worked in terms of the encryption key when it arrives for future reference.

Don't seem to be able to copy from external hard drive to other external hard drive via USB. Having to copy to laptop first and then to other hard drive. Is there a quicker way of doing this? Does it work under Partitioned Magic?

Going forward I will always backup MU data and safely disconnect the hard drive. And no more wd external drives going forward. Only generic ones.

Any other tips you may have for me?

Thank you

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:26 AM

That's great news.

The only tip I have is for you and anyone who reads this thread.

If you buy an external drive and plan to put anything really important on it, Delete all partitions on it first. Create new ones and do a full format of them (not a 'quick format').

This will almost always remove any pre-installed software. Read the specs to make sure.

Otherwise, it may be difficult or impossible to recover from something as simple as the USB jack accidentally breaking on it.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users