Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Decoder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

I am looking to buy a DVD Decoder that will work in my windows media player 11.0. I have windows xp with SP 3. Can anyone tell me what would be a good Decoder to buy at a fairly cheap price? I just need to download this software and will not need a backup disk. I unterstand that windows XP will not be updated after March 2014 and this is why I don't want to put much money in this. I have a mathtudor DVD that I need to view on this computer and it tells me I need a DVD decoder to view it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

You can use a media player called VLC to view DVDs (as well as almost any other form of digital media.) VLC is free and open source software and can be downloaded here.

Microsoft also lists some commercial DVD decoding plugins for Windows Media Player here. Their prices are around $20US.

Edited by Andrew, 01 March 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks, Andrew. I will check out the ones on the Microsoft Website.

#4 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Andrew, I downloaded and installed that software (DVD Codec from Corel) but the DVD will still not play. I am beginning to wonder if I have any DVD software installed for my DVD. The DVD will play music but I have never played DVD's in it. I was thinking all I had to do was to install the codec and that would suffice to play DVD's but there must be something else missing since it will not play a DVD. Maybe I need to install another software to get it to working. Any ideas. I wonder is there are any good free software  around if I need to do this. Thanks.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

Again, I would recommend using VLC Media Player for DVDs.

#6 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

1. Andrew, since I paid Corel $15.00 for this codec I am going to wait until Monday to do anything else. I will give them a call. Maybe they can help me figure this thing out. If not, I will download and install the VLC one. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users