Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ie8 won't completely close

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 copakeman

copakeman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

hi all. i am running xp sp2 ver 2002 with latest updates, ie8 latest level. i can close ie8 using the file tab or clicking the x in the upper right hand corner. when i boot up xp and i choose to go to internet explorer. i get 2 messages "go to home page" or "restore last". these are messsages from ie8. no matter which i choose i get msn.com home page, which is ok. i have been trying to upgrade adobe flash, the upgrade stops at 55% done and tells me i must close ie8 to proceed. ie8 has been closed, i used task mgr to stop any task that might be assocated with ie8 without sucess. this has stared about 4 weeks ago when i tried an adobe flash update. i have ignored it, but i have just read about some exploits that adobe flash is succecptabte to. the lastest flash upgrade should prevent that problem.

"the 4 weeks ago" means when i first detected that ie8 doesnt really close problem. i use kaspersky, super anti spyware, for av programs, i have run malwarebytes too, no malware has been found or detected.

i am sure some ie8 registry entry is not being turned off to indicate ie8 is closed or not active. i dont know where to look for those entries or what changed in xp to not close those entries.

i havent added any programs or hardware in the last 6 months.

any suggestions will be welcomed.

thank you

c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hello, have you tried resetting your IE back to factory defaults?  You could try => This Microsoft Fix It Tool <= and see if that fixes your issue and allows you to update your flash player.....

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

You have XP SP2. I recommend you upgrade to SP3 and follow up with appropriate Windows Updates and then run the Microsoft Fix It tool as already mentioned

#4 Firefoxthebomb

Firefoxthebomb

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

End of Support for Windows XP SP2, Windows 2000 Server and Professional on July 13, 2010
Support (including new security updates) ends July 13, 2010 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows 2000 Server and Professional. Migration to the latest OS or installation of the current service pack (XP SP 3) is recommended.

For Windows XP SP2 users who need to install XP Service Pack 3

Learn how to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)               

Thank You :)

firefoxsig-resized.jpg.b57936275b99d45f7

Dell Precision T7810, Win10 64bit fully updated, Symantec Endpoint Protection,
Watchguard Firewall, Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 CPUs, Dual 8 Core Processors, 32GB Ram,
E5-2620v4 @ 2.10GHz X 2, AMD FirePro W4100 with 4 Screens, 500GB SSD Boot Drive,
Raid-1 Dual 2TB Sata 10000 rpm Hard Drives, DVD Burner, IE11, Opera, MBAM, MBSB, MBAE

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

Lifecycle for extended support ends April 8 2014.

Edited by dc3, 01 March 2013 - 04:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users