Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edimax EW-7416APn wireless access point

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 andygoole

andygoole

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Based in the UK, I volunteer for a small charity and have maintained their computers and network for over 8 years without any formal training i.e. get a problem, search online and solve it.

At the moment I have 18 devices connected. 5 towers  (4LAN-1Homeplug)  4 laptops and an every increasing number of mobile devices (wifi). The wifi is extended using an Edimax EW-7416APn wireless access point.

Previously the setup  used 2 Edimax EW-7416APn wireless access points, enabling access  to wifi on one of our boats, but after a power outage 2 yrs ago the setup stopped functioning. These WAPs were not setup by myself but by a prisoner from the local open prison who had far superior network knowledge than myself. He was released and never seen again.

The wireless router is in area 4 at top right corner of room connected via a 24 port switch in the black area with another switch in area 5 at top left corner.

In  area 5 there are 2 towers (LAN) and Edimax 1 which extends wifi  (now been reset and simply plugged in)

Attached File  map.jpg   22.76KB   3 downloads

What we need is wireless access on boat 1 (which has been done before using Edimax 2) and when succesful hopefully using another edimax the same on boat 3. Both boats are static and used as classrooms by all the schools in the local area. Both boats are steel hulled

So if anyone could help with

A] which if any should be the repeater? and settings if possible

B] anything else, that could help achieve the results even if it means buying better equiptment or  alternative solutions,

Thanks

Andy.B

http://www.waterwaysmuseum.org.uk/

Edited by andygoole, 01 March 2013 - 09:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users