Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unproper flash drive eject and lost corrupted directory = lost pictures

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nabu

nabu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hi everybody!

I'm in a big trouble and i would like to ask your help to try to solve it!

I'm in a 6 month trip along Center America and i'm taking lot of pictures, which i'm saving in an usb pen.

I'm using an ASUS netbook with atom 2600 and 2gb ram with windows7.

Some days ago i was working on my blog and choosing pictures from the usb. When finished with the pendrive i've decided to eject it to put it in a safe place, but when i tried it starting to take a very long time to do it. While the system was working fine the ejecting was still trying. I wrongly decide to take it away manually but when i insert it again to check if everything was ok i couldn't enter anymore in the "data" directory where i had many other directories and especially the "foto" one, with 20gb more or less of pictures and .mov!!!

When trying to access to the DATA directory it says: "File or directory is corrupted or unreadable"

It also says me when inserted the usb something like this: "Scan and fix or continue without scanning" but i'm not sure to trust this and try it out.

The pendrive is a 30gb Verbatim formatted with NTFS and bootable with the win7 installation.

I've used getdataback for NTFS to find the pictures: it found all the directories structures and the right names, it also found all the pictures with the names and the right sizes, but when i copy them in the netbook hdd 1/3 or maybe 1/4 of theme are just grey, completely grey.

The pendrive shows the right amount of available space, so it make me thinks that the files are all still there! Seems like the filesystem has corrupted, so i'm wondering if some repairing could fix the problem or not...

I hope i was clear enough and that you could help me!! These pictures are very important for me!!!

Thanks very much!!

Alessandro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

Hi Alessandro

Please try this one instead http://www.fileguru.com/apps/verbatim_flash_drive_recovery

Tekken

#3 nabu

nabu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hi!

Thank you very much for the help, right now i still didn't tried it, i hope i can try it tomorrow!!

Will let you know asap about it!!

Thanks!

#4 nabu

nabu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:26 AM

Hi!

I tried the program! I used the advanced search and at the end it shows all the directories tree.

The only big problem is that is a demo version and it doesn't let me see not even like a preview if the picture is well recovered. So i see the list but is useless..

Any suggestion?

Thanks!!

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

I haven't tried that recovery software actually as I've never own any Verbatim flash drives, just the old verbatim diskettes in my college days. :lol: Let me ask another BC Advisor for another alternative route in hopefully recovering the data in your flash drive. Meanwhile check the technical support site for any possible solutions as help will come as soon as available. http://www.verbatim.com/prod/usb-drives/everyday-usb-drives/verbatim-usb-drive-sku-97408/

Tekken

#6 nabu

nabu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

Ok thanks for you help anyway!

However i need a solution cause traveling this problem is driving me crazy... :((

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Please follow the instructions on how to image the flash drive contents onto your laptop before proceeding with 'Windows scan and fix '.

1. Download Disk Explorer for NTFS http://www.runtime.org/diskexplorer.htm

When installed and running, Go to File menu -> Drive (with usb flash drive inserted already)

Choose the USB flash drive under Available drives - Physical drives and hit Ok.

Go to Tools menu and choose Create Image File and untick Multi File

Click on Destination File or the three dots ellipsis to change your preferred directory image of the source. Save it to desktop for a more accessible location the click START.

When diskexplorer finish imaging the drive, it will go back to the last screen image. Close all instances of diskexplorer only after verifying that the image is saved onto desktop.

Note : The image process may take some time and please reply back if there are problems encountered. If imaging was successful, proceed with 'Windows Scan and Fix' on the USB flash drive as an image or copy is already saved in your laptop.

After imaging is completed, shutdown the computer.

Remove the Flash drive and restart the computer

Plug the Flash drive and select 'Scan and Fix'

See if the drive is Fix

If not, proceed with attempts to recover from the image itself using different recovery tools.

Thank you James for the instructions and options. :)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users