Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Upgrade For Old Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 obededom

obededom

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:09 AM

Whoa, this is an old comp. Needs memory upgrade because right now, it only has 256mb memory. Motherboard is a PC Chips M841LR. Using everest lavalys, it says this motherboard only supports these types of memory: PC100 SDRAM, PC133 SDRAM, DDR-200 SDRAM, DDR-266 SDRAM. Now, obviously, picking out the right type of RAM really gets confusing, especially since this is an older computer. Could someone show me the best possible RAM (at least according to lavalys - or if someone can find more info on this pc chips board) this motherboard supports? I need all specs - PC# DDR# #mhz, etc. because it's very confusing. Is a DDR-266 stick 266mhz? Are all PC2100 sticks DDR-266?? Once I get some kind of confirmation on what kind of memory this motherboard supports, I can take it from there. Anyway, hope this makes sense and any help would be much needed. Thanks!

~obededom~
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:36 AM

Check this site.
http://www.crucial.com/search/srchrslt.asp...841LR&submit=Go

And this one.
http://www.memoryx.net/pcchm8mome15.html

Edited by dc3, 03 April 2006 - 12:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:45 AM

Yeah, I've already checked out Crucial's memory diagnostics page, but I get conflicting information between that and Everest Lavalys. This is the page I looked at after searching for this specific motherboard on Crucial's website: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...%5CLR&submit=Go

Crucial says this motherboard can support pc133, pc2700 ddr333 and pc3200 ddr400 (depending on pinn #) - this is where I'm getting confused b/w that and Lavalys b/c Lavalys says it supports ddr200 and ddr266, yet, again, crucial says otherwise.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:25 AM

I think I understand where the confusion is coming from, your motherboard has two sets of RAM sockets, 2 DIMMs for PC133 SDRAM and 2 DDR DIMM for DDR266 and higher, with a maximum of 2GB of RAM.

Crucial is showing what modules of theirs that they know will work in your motherboard, you can trust them on this. If you are looking at the memory bus properties in Everest, that's the wrong place to see what's installed in your machine, go to SPD to see what exactly is in there, other than that...stick with what Crucial suggests.

If you want to add to the existing RAM, match the type of RAM that Everest is showing in the SPD. You have one other socket to add more RAM with. If you have PC133 and want to upgrade to the faster modules, once again, go with what Crucial is suggesting. You will only be able to use one set of the sockets at a time, and remember that if you mix module of differents speeds, the faster one will underclock to match the slower one.

As for understanding about the differences between SDRAM and DDR, check this site out.

http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/arti...p?p=339089&rl=1

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

I usually try to match the existing RAM. That means taking the RAM out and finding out what it is, sometimes having to punch numbers into Google. Sometimes it says right on it whether it's PC 2100 or whatever. Make sure to use safe handling techniques - ground yourself to the case before touching anything inside, pull the power plug first, don't shuffle your feet on the carpet, use a wrist strap if you have one.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:31 AM

Everest will show you exactly what is installed in your computer including the type, the specs and even the name of the Ram's manufacturer.

That doesn't mean your motherboard won't support a different type - as the Crucial page suggests.

To see what you have installed open Everest, open the motherboard tree, highlight (click on) SPD. Look at the pane on the right. It will tell you what is installed in each Dimm slot.

Clicking on one of the entries in the top right pane will display its specs in the bottom right pane.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:41 PM

I usually try to match the existing RAM. That means taking the RAM out and finding out what it is, sometimes having to punch numbers into Google. Sometimes it says right on it whether it's PC 2100 or whatever. Make sure to use safe handling techniques - ground yourself to the case before touching anything inside, pull the power plug first, don't shuffle your feet on the carpet, use a wrist strap if you have one.

If he has Everest, which he has indicated, why physically remove the module when if Everest recognizes it, it will tell you everything from the manufacturer to it's timings?

#8 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

Ok guys, sorry about delay. Using Everest, I see that this computer has 2 memory sticks installed for a total of 256mb. They are each: 128mb, PC133 (133mhz), SDRAM. Therefore, from what you guys said, should I just forget these 2 sticks and upgrade to 2 better? And again, I need some clarification on what this motherboard accepts (again, does it accept, for instance, 400mhz memory?).

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

This makes it easier, if you want to add more RAM you are going to have to pull the old RAM anyway you look at it, so go with the DDR modules, it will be less expensive and faster, I would go with the DDR400 that Crucial has suggested.

When you go to install the RAM, you won't have any problems figuring out which sockets to use, the DDR module have a different amount of pins, you can't install the RAM in the wrong socket.

Remeber to pull the old RAM, you can't run both sets of RAM at the same time.

One last thing, as I googled for information about this board I noticed that it started out only listing only two different speeds of RAM, and the later results like what was found at Crucial show that they have updated their list of compatible modules with what is currently available. The long and short of this is...go with what Crucial suggests and you won't go wrong.

Edited by dc3, 05 April 2006 - 10:30 PM.

#10 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

obededom I have a similar PC Chips board and am about to upgrade RAM too. I am planning on using 2PC2100 DDR266 Ram chips. I dont think that the age of my (and maybe your) computer warrants a 1 GB chip since they are slightly more expensive. If you wish to buy online the Newegg link I gave is the best price I found atm.

As for this statement from dc3 I will have to experiment, but in your case the extra 256 mb of ram in those old PC133 slots would just slow you down, so it would be best to follow this instruction.

As for your question about RAM speed and PC# correlations. the PC# is a rating based upon a formula that uses the speed in Mhz, so PC2100 will always be DDR266. Finally, to be a little more technical DDR is 266Mhz speed b/c it runs 2x as many operations as SDRAM (or Double Data Rate vs Single Data Rate) our PC Chips mobos run the RAM at 133, but DDR runs 2x as fast(which I think translates into an even faster advantage based on the PC#).
For more than you ever wanted to know about RAM check this link and scroll down a little.

Edited by Gothmog, 05 April 2006 - 11:12 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:12 AM

As for this statement from dc3 I will have to experiment, but in your case the extra 256 mb of ram in those old PC133 slots would just slow you down, so it would be best to follow this instruction.

Gothmog...here's what the manual says... :thumbsup:

Install Memory

The mainboard has two 168-pin/184-pin DIMM sockets for SDRAM/DDR (Double Data Rate) SDRAM system memory modules. You must install at least one memory module in order to work out the mainboard, either SDRAM or DDR SDRAM, but you can not use them simultaneously.

http://64.124.27.138/pcchips/manual/m841/841s13.zip

obededom...what he is alluding to when he said it would just slow you down is that IF you could use both sockets simutaniously, the faster modules in the DDR slots would underclock down to the speed of the slower modules in the SDRAM sockets.

Edited by dc3, 06 April 2006 - 01:24 AM.

#12 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the details and help. dc3, thanks for looking up the manual and letting us know that SDRAM and DDR SDRAM won't work at the same time on this motherboard. That is definitely important to know. Gothmog, since this computer obviously is old and won't be used for hard-core gaming, but will be mostly used for web browsing, email checking, etc., do you think 512mb is enough? On my gaming pc's, more RAM is never enough, so I'm not informed on whether or not a certain amount of RAM is enough on older computers. Personally, I think 512mb is enough, but again, I'm always inclined to get more - yet here, prices on 512mb sticks are much cheaper than 1gb sticks. Anyway, I've looked up some more deals on 512mb sticks and here's what I found - remember to make sure that the RAM, mainly Kingston and Corsair, is not ValueRam or Value Select (these cheaper sticks have part #'s starting with easter kvr or vs) - that's the cheap stuff. Deals:

Crucial PC3200 512mb - could be value ram, not sure - $37.75 at mwave.com (they are good - I've ordered from them before). *best freakin deal in my opinion*

Crucial PC3200 512mb - $39.99 but sold out at buy.com

Corsair PC2700 512mb - $41.22 at thenerds.net

Corsair PC3200 512mb - $39.97 at thenerds.net (not sure why pc3200 would be cheaper than pc2700 at same website, but I've been seeing a lot of pc3200 - that isn't not valueram/value select - for cheaper than pc2700)

Viking PC3200 512mb - $37.94 at eCost.com

Viking PC2700 512mb - $37.94 at eCost.com (again, not sure why pc3200 and pc2700 are same price on same website).

Patriot PC3200 512mb - $32.99 at newegg.com

I personally would go with Viking or Crucial - Crucial is excellent RAM (I have boughten their RAM many times) and both of these companies tend to be cheaper. Obviously Kingston and Corsair are viewed to be the best, but they are also very expensive. Anyway, I've searched all over Price Watch, Tech Bargains, Newegg, Tiger Direct, buy.com, NexTag, etc. and these are best I could find. If you guys can find better deals, just post them.

Besides this, I just want to confirm - will PC2700 (DDR333) and above will work with this PC Chips motherboard? Thanks again for all the help!

~obededom~

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

If he has Everest, which he has indicated, why physically remove the module when if Everest recognizes it, it will tell you everything from the manufacturer to it's timings?

That's great, if it works. If it doesn't work, he still needs to identify his memory. FWIW, Everest does not report any of those details about my memory, neither version 2.01 nor version 2.2.

#14 obededom

obededom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:27 PM

ok guys, since Everest is obviously debatable, when I have free time, I'll open up the case and see which type of RAM is in this machine.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

3 days ago I put a PC3200 256mb module in a Gateway P4 1.8ghz DDR PC2100. Right next to an OEM PC2100 266mhz module. It work perfectly. The computer has not been off since. I may smoke it tonight but I doubt it. If you are going to just surf the web and do light coputering, not gaming, save the money and go with the economy RAM.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users