Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCIE Wireless card shuts down when playing a game or switches channels

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dess314

dess314

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Hi! I've searched long and hard for a solution to this and have found none. I am using a Rosewill RNYX-N250PCe wireless adapter on a Windows 7 sp1 64bit computer. The MB only has a PCIe 16x (occupied by a radeon HD 7750) and a PCIe 16x running at 4x (occupied by the wifi card). I am currently on a public wifi network. Every once in a while when I start playing an online game, the connection drops momentarily, and then reconnects. The wifi restarts when I tab out. This usually repeats every time I try to tab back into the game, causing serious issues. I downloaded Xirrus Wifi inspector and noticed that there are multiple routers, each on a different channel. My computer switches back and forth between two routers whenever this disconnect is taking place. 

Additionally, when I play a graphically intense game offline, it drains my internet speed, often times until it disconnects the wifi altogether (as when I'm downloading a file or something). 

I have fiddled with all the power options, TX settings, PCIE power management settings, updated drivers, tried with a different wireless PCIe Card, updated firmware on my SSD, motherboard drivers, graphics card drivers, adjusted antennae, made sure there is only one wifi controller software/utility, checked for viruses etc, but no luck. 

So my questions (after trying everything else) are, is there a way to prevent the wireless from changing access points within the same network SSID (they have equal signal strengths) and second, what could be causing the drain in power to my wifi card? Is it simply that my psu isn't strong enough? I'm currently running a 500 watt PSU, which is 100 watts more than the recommended 400 for my video card. Or perhaps is it processing priority that is being allocated away from my wifi card or pcie slot? Someone recommended I give my wifi card "higher" priority, but I wasn't sure if that was possible. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:07 AM

Welcome back dess :grinner:

In your last thread, the problem seems to have been dependent only with online gaming(?). If you want a very good stable connection since you seem to be a heavy gamer (?), wired connection is always preferred in any case.

Tekken

#3 dess314

dess314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:47 AM

Thank you for the welcome back! And yes, I do game, and I do recognize that wired is better, but this is all I have for now. But the issue isn't only problematic with gaming--it affects many systems. Gaming is just where I can see the effect clearly enough. Furthermore, a wireless card is bad for gaming because of its weak signal, but it shouldn't be dropping connection due to powershare issues. I can sort of get by with web browsing etc, but I would very much like to know the root of the problem anyway. I simply lack the technical knowledge of how to adjust pcie power levels or what not. :)

Edited by dess314, 02 March 2013 - 02:47 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:51 AM

Have you look into maybe the router is needed to be upgraded/replaced for a much better signal and bandwith distribution?

Tekken

#5 dess314

dess314
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Well that might be the case, but all of my laptops can connect fine without any disconnects. It's only my desktop that has these issues. Unfortunately since I'm on a public wireless network I don't have access to the router, but again, only my desktop experiences these problems. 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

What is public wifi network? The network location or currently connected network? The only thing I could see from disconnection problems is interferences, distance, low type of PCI card or router that may need to be upgraded or bandwith hogging on other computers connected on the router. What is your ISP connection speed?

Tekken

#7 redpath42

redpath42

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Realize this post may have gone cold. I have a similar problem, dess 134, did you find an answer? Could you tell me what mobo and wireless card you were/are using? (I'm using a Gigabyte z77 ds3h and centrino 6300 on a similar looking adaptor)

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users