Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From Linux Box To Winxp Box And Out To Web Via Dialup

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jorini

jorini

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 11:52 PM

Hi All!

I've got a Compaq Presario running XPSP2 home. I've got an older emachine running (so to speak) Ubuntu 5.10. I'd like to network the two via crossover cable so that the Ubuntu box can use the XP box's dialup internet connection.

The ubuntu box had been running Window Me and I had a successful crossover connection established before installing ubuntu, so I believe I have the hardware cabling part of it in place. BTW a friend did this for me, so I can't claim the knowledge needed to make that happen. I did watch him and "got" some of what he was doing. I hope that establishes my level of expertise :thumbsup:

I posted this question to the ubuntu forum and got a reply to enable internet sharing and all would be well. Well... I enabled, and started messing with addresses and stuff and got nowhere. Couldn't get anyone to help me further, so the thing is still undone.

Could somebody give me a starting shove in the proper direction?

Incidentally, my firewall is zonealarm free edition. I imagine something needs to be jiggered with that as well.

Many thanks in advance!
John
Man, sometimes it takes you a long time to sound like yourself -- Miles Davis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users