Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus or real? "Windows detected a hard disk problem"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 schues

schues

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

This is a question about my husband's computer. It runs on Windows 7. Recently he has started getting some error messages that I'm not sure are legit or not. The main one is that, every 5 minutes or so, a window pops up that says "Windows detected a hard disk problem" It goes on to say "Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk" and gives the choices "Start the backup process" or "Ask me again later"

I am always suspicious of messages like this, and became moreso when I found that Avast would/could not update itself (this has never been a problem before).

I clicked the X to close out of the error message, and did do a backup just in case, then scanned with Avast and Malwarebytes and didn't find much (just looked like adware).

Also, when the computer starts up, I get a black screen. At the top it has "Phoenix -- AwardBIOS v6.00PG" then has a bunch of stats about my computer. At the bottom it says, "ST3500418AS: Hard disk failure is imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!" then has options F10 for setup or F2 to continue. I hit F2 and it loads normally; on logging in I immediately get the "hard disk problem" error message, though if I hit F8 and load in safe mode I don't EVER get that message.

I have photos of all of these error messages if needed, but don't know how to attach them here.

Is this a virus, or is the hard drive genuinely about to fail (sure hope not; the computer is lightly used and is less than 3 years old)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.

• Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
  • Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi, Follow Broni's Directions to be sure there is no virus,

Also, when the computer starts up, I get a black screen. At the top it
has "Phoenix -- AwardBIOS v6.00PG" then has a bunch of stats about my
computer. At the bottom it says, "ST3500418AS: Hard disk failure is
imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!" then has
options F10 for setup or F2 to continue. I hit F2 and it loads normally;
on logging in I immediately get the "hard disk problem" error message,
though if I hit F8 and load in safe mode I don't EVER get that message.

In my experience this means that the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced. That message is coming from the BIOS and is appearing before any software loads. Which pretty eliminates a Virus as the cause.

You can go to this page http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Download the Seatools for DOS and run the short test and the long test to confirm. Directions are on that page.

This might help.
Inserting An Image Within A Post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14738/inserting-an-image-within-a-post/

Sample: badcaps.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope this helps

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 February 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 hillterry

hillterry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

Hi, Follow Broni's Directions to be sure there is no virus,

Also, when the computer starts up, I get a black screen. At the top it
has "Phoenix -- AwardBIOS v6.00PG" then has a bunch of stats about my
computer. At the bottom it says, "ST3500418AS: Hard disk failure is
imminent. Please back up your hard disk and have it replaced!" then has
options F10 for setup or F2 to continue. I hit F2 and it loads normally;
on logging in I immediately get the "hard disk problem" error message,
though if I hit F8 and load in safe mode I don't EVER get that message.

In my experience this means that the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced. That message is coming from the BIOS and is appearing before any software loads. Which pretty eliminates a Virus as the cause.

You can go to this page http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/
Download the Seatools for DOS and run the short test and the long test to confirm. Directions are on that page.

This might help.
Inserting An Image Within A Post

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/14738/inserting-an-image-within-a-post/

Sample: badcaps.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hope this helps

Roger

First of all. You should backup your data then try running some disk scans on your drive like windows's own disk scan or may be tuneup utilities disk scan.Sometimes errors like these are just false alarms but some times they are true as well.[/size]

Edited by hillterry, 28 June 2013 - 01:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users