Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows XP Pro (SP3) on wiped hard drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rogue_agent

rogue_agent

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I have bought a new Laptop - Dell Inspiron 5520 . It had Windows 8 64-bit. I want, at best, to install Windows XP, if that's possible. However, I have a feeling that I've made a stupid mistake somewhere without doing the necessary research.

I have wiped the hard drive by using Copywipe from the Ultimate Boot CD that I have. Now I have no Operating System. Here's the situation:

• I have a Windows XP Pro (Service Pack 3) ISO that I have made bootable using a small program called WBICreator.
  • I also have the extracted files as a backup.
  • I have PowerISO - but my bootable ISO doesn' work even on VirtualBox - it always says that "it cannot load BootMgr" so maybe I'm not using PowerISO properly, I guess.
  • When I attempt to boot the wiped hard drive, it says "No Boot Device found. Press any key to reboot the machine"...

Please guide me in installing this operating system on my laptop and ask me what details I should provide so that you can help me easily.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

Dell drivers for system, ftp://ftp.dell.com/Browse_For_Drivers/Laptops/Inspiron/Inspiron%2015R%205520/index.html .

I see no XP drivers.

To install a different O/S on that system...you would require a different license also, since your license only applies to the Win 8 preinstalled O/S.

Louis

#3 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41 AM

Thank you. Well, I just wanted to test if I could install - I wouldn't have used it since it's only an ISO. It was only for the purpose of testing, and then I would've bought another original from Microsoft or something.

So, what should I do? If I buy a Windows XP OS DVD, will that work? Since there are no XP drivers, does this mean that my laptop does not support Windows XP at all?

Edited by rogue_agent, 01 March 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

<<So, what should I do?>>

Sorry...I try not to advise people on how to run their own lives.  You make the decision.

<<If I buy a Windows XP OS DVD, will that work?>>

A retail or System Builder CD for XP...will come with a valid license.

<<Since there are no XP drivers, does this mean that my laptop does not support Windows XP at all?>>

That...you would have to ask Dell, since they put the system together.  I interpret the fact that Dell does not provide drivers...as a signal that they are not concerned with XP drivers for that system.  What a purchaser of said system does that does not fall within Dell guidelines...well, that's up to a purchaser.

Louis

#5 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

My apologies, I phrased the question wrongly and vaguely - didn't mean for you to just tell me without me making a decision. I just got a bit confused since I'm not very knowledgeable in this kind of stuff.

So, I should contact Dell, and if they do provide XP drivers or something, am I looking to buy something like this - is this a licensed retail version? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home-Edition/dp/B00005RG56/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1362158227&sr=8-6

Sorry about so many questions. :(

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'd go this route, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-XP-Home-OEM/dp/B0020ZTU1I/ref=sr_1_6?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1362159370&sr=1-6 , cheaper and the differences between the two don't matter now, IMO.

Never apologize for asking questions...the world would be a better place if more were asked before actions are taken :).

Louis

#7 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

OK. :)  Wow, thank you. So I contact Dell first to see if my laptop is compatible with XP, and if it is, then I buy that. That sounds good!

#8 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hamluis, I contacted Dell and they stated that unfortunately, Windows XP is not compatible with my system. So, I really should've done some research before buying it.

Anyway, I have decided to install Windows 7. So, can this topic be moved to the Windows 7 forum, just in case I may need any help with that?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Rather than dragging excess baggage to the Win 7 forum...I suggest that you just initiate a new topic there if you need assistance.

I've already given you the link for the Win 7 drivers...installing from a purchased DVD is straightforwardf...but, if you have questions/problems doing the install, I suggest initating a new topic there for those questions/prloblems.

The only germane info from this topic that could possibly be useful in that case...would be the system manufacturer/model and the fact that you know how to acquire the drivers for your system :).

You want the 64-bit version of Win 7, example at http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362239032&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+64-bit+home+premium .

Good luck :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 March 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#10 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Ah, I get you. Well, I just successfully installed Windows 7 Home 32-bit,and then thanks to your previous link to the drivers, I shouldn't have a problem :)

Just one more question, If I want to install Windows 7 Pro in the future, will something like this do? http://www.amazon.co.uk/32-bit-English-software-intended-builders/dp/B004Q0PSMK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1CLZPOAIV0FJA&coliid=I2UECYMXC8V6TU

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Yes...but, IMO, the variances between Pro and Home editions...are not even worth considering for the typical Win 7 user.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/compare#T1=tab01

Louis

#12 rogue_agent

rogue_agent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thank you - this really helps!

I don't have any other questions now. Thank you for guiding me towards all the possible solutions. I really appreciate it.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users