Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Graphics card + Power supply

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grantyy

Grantyy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi there I'm hoping you guys can help point me in the right direction, primarily I want to upgrade from onboard graphics to a dedicated card, I don't play much more than flash games on my PC mainly as Irely more on my PS3, I want a card that is primed for full HD and can handle some standard games, I have the Advent DT1410, It has a Foxconn mobo, a 305W Power supply, the confusing part for me is what the single graphics slot (labeled PCI-E1 16X) will accept, I have seen this card

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-Graphics-Express-Dust-Proof/dp/B0084LE1XY/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

but as it says PCI Express 2.0 I'm not sure if it's compatible, also i'd like advice on what Power supply I should upgrade to, my local maplin has (I think) a 680w power supply on offer at the minute though I suspect that maybe too much, as I understnd it doesn't matter so long as I have enough, right?

Finally I'd also like to install an SSD and so the power supply needs to be able to handle that also, I prefer a quiet PC as it's in my living room, my old PC was much noisier though the large fan on the mobo on my new one is silent and the integrated graphics are of course silent though if I had to compromise a little here i'd prefer performance

Any help is appreciated here, I just want to be sure that I get a good enough crd with a HDMI out, a power supply that can handle this plus the added SSD, I am in the UK by the way, thanks

Edited by Grantyy, 28 February 2013 - 07:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

Why not look at silent graphics cards if you want it to be as quite as possible -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-Graphics-Express-Profile/dp/B008A1C2AM/ref=pd_cp_computers_2

I've never used one, and to be honest the fan on my case is way louder than any graphics or processor fan, but it's never bothered me once the radio is on!

#3 Grantyy

Grantyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:07 AM

Yes thanks that looks good but how do I know if it's compatible, do all PCI-E 16X slots take the same cards, this one is as the other I saw, says PCI express 2.0, I guess it's compatible but i'd like to be sure, I guess 450 to 500 watts would be powerful enough but again i'd appreciate some advice if anybody knows what supply would be sufficient, thanks

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Earlier versions of PCI-Express X16 do take the newer cards, albeit at slower speeds.  The Antec Basiq VP550P paired with the Zotac GT 630 Zone Edition 1GB should be enough for a slight step up from on-board graphics.  That is a silent GPU so make sure your case has good cooling to avoid heat build-up.  If you want something a bit more powerful, though not as quiet, the XFX HD 7750 Core Edition 1GB is good.

3939.png

#5 Grantyy

Grantyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the help, so would it matter if I bought a PCI-E 2.0 card, doesn't having the 2gb on board help rather than just 1gb, guess for movies it's no big deal right? also Iv'e seen a 500W power supply on amazon for a quarter of the price as the 550 one above, or i can get a 680W from maplin for around half, guess they are all the same so long as they are reliable, it's the first time iv'e upgraded my graphics so I just want to be sure that I get the right kit, thanks for all of your help

I notice that the ZOTAC GC has a HDMI mini, will that still link fine to my TV with the right lead or adaptor

#6 scragnoff

scragnoff

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

Hi Grantyy!

When choosing a power supply I suggest going for trusted manufacturers like SeaSonic, Antec, XFX or Corsair.  

Here is a guide for choosing power supplies: http://www.logicalincrements.com/#psuInfoToggle .

Logical Increments - The PC builder's friend. Always free. Always Awesome.

#7 Grantyy

Grantyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Hi Thanks for your help Scragnoff/all, I have decided on this Graphics card -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAPPHIRE-TECHNOLOGY-11192-11-20G-Sapphire-Graphics/dp/B005T4K9IA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362536044&sr=1-1

I'm not overly concerned about noise, I figured that this card will allow me to connect my TV which is my main concern, whilst still allowing me to play games at 1024 x 768 on my monitor if I choose to, I like the look of the new sim city game and would hope this will handle that at this resolution, I'm still not sure on the power supply but I have read that this card takes roughly 67 watts so if I'm currently at 305w then surely doing the maths 400w should be fine although I do want to add a SSD at some point so I guess to be safe 450 to 500 will cover any future upgrades, does this all sound ok to you guys, I just have a few Questions If anyone can give answers to some or all I'd appreciate that  

1) Will the PSU come with all the right connectors or do I need to check that

2) edit: (just found these) I will buy one of the 430w or 500w Corsair GPU's do you think the 430w would be ok for the graphics card and SSD, I'd imagine so as some personal reviews state this card working on 250 and 305w GPU's

430w

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-corsair-builder-series-cmpsu-430cxv2uk-80plus-bronze-eff-uncertified-quiet-fan-atx-v23-psu

500w

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-corsair-builder-series-cx-cp-9020047-uk-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-psu

3) This Graphics card says it supports dolby 7.1 surround, I have a 5.1 receiver setup, do I need a seperate audio card to make use of this or will this card cover that too through HDMI?

Thanks for all of your help, all being well i'll make my purchase this week :)

Edited by Grantyy, 05 March 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

I can only answer one of your questions but the 430W power supply should be able to easily power up the 6670 and it doesn't need any extra power connectors.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 scragnoff

scragnoff

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

I agree with killerx525 about the choice of power supply - it's 80+ certified and it's manufactured by Corsair, a trusted power supply company. It will adequately supply the power needed for your rig.

do I need a seperate audio card to make use of this

No, you won't need a separate audio card, the video card will take care of that through the HDMI.

Edited by scragnoff, 06 March 2013 - 05:07 AM.

Logical Increments - The PC builder's friend. Always free. Always Awesome.

#10 Grantyy

Grantyy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thank you guys, you have been a great help, the first time is always the most difficult i'm sure next time I upgrade I'll understand a lot faster :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users