Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot uninstall programs. Any solution?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ramonv

ramonv

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Unwanted programs on HP laptop.We go to Control Panel, and click on "Uninstall Programs" which should open a list of installed programs, but does nothing at all.

Is there a way to fix this, or another way to completely uninstall unwanted programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I've never seen "Uninstall Programs" as a control panel applet. You want "Programs & Features" in Vista. That's the equivalent of "Add/Remove" in XP.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:10 AM

:whistle:

Edited by dc3, 01 March 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Right there under the header "Programs" it says "Uninstall A Program" and "Change Startup Programs" and we can't open either. She has a few things we'd like to remove from the Startup list, and preferably from the pc altogether (Weather Channel, Spotify, Skype, and more).

We can get it to say "Programs and Features" if we click on "Classic View" but that doesn't change the fact that none of it works. :(

We also want to get the latest McAfee from our internet provider, but we can't install it with the old one there, and we can't uninstall the old one.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

I'm sorry, I really lost you. Where do you see what you do?

#6 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Okay... I'm trying to uninstall programs and change startup programs.

So, I go to Start>Control Panel Home> and then under Programs, it has links for both of those (Uninstall A Program and Change Startup Programs).

Or, I could click on Programs, and then under Programs and Features, it has several links, the first of shich is Uninstall A Program.

Clicking on Uninstall A Program from either of these locations will bring up the list of installed programs, and you can choose which to uninstall, and uninstall them, on a normally functioning computer.

Or, if you're looking at the Control Panel "Classic View," you click on Programs and Features, and then select the ones you want to uninstall.  Again, not on this computer, because Control Panel is as far as you can get.

So my question is, how do I either get these links to work, or how do I uninstall programs without going through the Control Panel?

Edited by ramonv, 01 March 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#7 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

Anyone...?

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

What do you mean when you say "Again, not on this computer, because Control Panel is as far as you can get."?

#9 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:28 AM

I go to Control Panel, and click on "Uninstall Programs" which should open a list of installed programs, but it does nothing at all.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

See, that's where I'm confused. "Uninstall Programs" is not a control panel applet to the best of my knowledge - Programs & Features is. Your posts are very confusing regarding why you don't just run Programs & Features from Control Panel.

#11 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

I've been as clear as possible.  Even if I go to "Classic View" in Control Panel, and click on Programs & Features nothing happens.

Same as when I click on "Uninstall A Program" in Control Panel Home.

I can click as much as I want once I get to the Control Panel, but nothing happens.

There is no way to see a list of installed programs, so that I can uninstall them.

Nor can I change startup programs.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

So when you say "nothing happens" you mean the applet does not open - is that correct? If so, see this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_programs/programs-and-features-wont-open-in-control-panel/51c8cc15-c854-4c39-9f7a-2c4adffcfda8

#13 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Okay, I'll give that a look.  Thanks.

#14 ramonv

ramonv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Some of that stuff was a little too technical for me, but the revo got rid of the unwanted programs.  Only problem is McAfee won't uninstall, update, or reinstall.  I'm guessing some Microsoft security feature is interfering with it.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

I've never cared for McAfee as a company nor any of their products. Here's a link to their removal tool: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users