Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Group or User Privledges

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LadyMorella

LadyMorella

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to custom set privileges in Windows 7. I have a user who needs more than standard user privileges, but less than an administrator. I found the Network Configuration Operator group that was working great for a while. But now the user needs access to a COM port USB adapter, which has settings that need to be changed. You get to those settings by going to Properties on the device on Device Manager, which a user cannot change. He really only needs to be able to change things like that on that one device, but I'm not sure that is possible. I really don't want to give more privileged than is necessary. I thought I read that there was an advanced group settings that could be set up, but I'm not sure where or how. 

We are set up on a workgroup, so there is no domain controller. I'm using Windows 7 Professional. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LadyMorella

LadyMorella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:28 PM

So I have been looking into this a little more and I'm not sure what to do. Is it possible to have a non-admin to be able to make any changes in device manager? Or anything in the computer management? If so how do I do this? 

It looks like from what I have found that if I make changes in the group or user policy all it will do is allow them to view or not view the settings. Is this the case? If so then can I set the user up as an admin and set the policy to "Enable only selected extensions" in the MMC user policy then uncheck everything except what would allow him to get into the computer management and the network settings that would allow him similar permissions as "Network Configuration Operator"? 

To clarify: 

This user needs the ability to change to a static ip address and change gateways and the like. Also he needs to be able to change settings on a com port to USB adapter to a different baud rate. And that is changed in the device settings under device management. The computer is a laptop running Windows 7 in a workgroup when at the office. There is no domain. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users