Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why doesn't paid av programs take care of malware too?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have a paid subscription to ESET NOD 32.  I don't understand why you have a separate program for malware too?  I do use Malwarebytes, and check with it every few days as well.  If the Chinese hackers, or other type of hacker uses malware on drive by internet browsing, and they also can get into government systems.  If they aren't protected fully, how can I expect to be?  Thoughts would be welcome.  I already pay for the av, and Carbonite.  Thoughts?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Not all anti-virus companies have every computer infection in their definitions. Therefore its always good to get a second opinion with another security product. As anti-malware products are typically less resource intensive than a full-fledged AV program, it makes sense to utilize one of those along with an av product in order to cover all your bases.

#3 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

That is because they rely on blacklisting for prevention, so they cannot detect something new.

There are other programs which use whitelisting and run anything not known to them in a sandbox.   I use the free Comodo internet security which does that automatically, so malware is not allowed to infect the system.   Mind you for me Malwarebytes has never found anything with older Comodo versions without the sandbox.

Antivirus alone will not protect from zero day malware not in it's database.

James

#4 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:48 AM

Thank you guys, I appreciate it very much.

#5 stragis

stragis

• Members
  • 675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

Another way I explain this is, AV is like an immunization. Kids get shots for polio before they start school, but they still get the common cold. The common cold is constantly evolving, like the flu. There are new flu shots every year. There are new virus definitions every day. But there is no 'cure' for the common cold.  Having an anti-malware could be like one step in 'living healthy'. Combine that with safe browsing habits and you're much less likely to get 'sick'.  

Edited by stragis, 01 March 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Stragis

#6 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

That makes sense.  Do you know if ESET has the best malware program?  There cyber security package is rather pricey.  (especially if you add in the other stuff I buy for security)  I had the free Comodo Internet Security, but it was not real user friendly for me.  There were too many questions that popped up, that I didn't know what to do.  So then I just use the Comodo firewall, and it is good.  I have a feeling the ESET package might be too difficult for me as well. 

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

If purchasing is too expensive try using one of the free AV's here along with your Firewall..

Freeware Replacements.I suggest Avira or MSE

Then scroll down and install an antimalware like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

It will not interfere.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks.  I already have Malwarebytes.  I also have ESET NOD 32.  Just wondering which anti malware to get, or if I should get a system security with av and antil malware etc...

#9 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

You probably had the previous version of Comodo Internet Security, the new version 6 asks few questions with it's standard settings and is much more friendly for average users.   It was the HIPS part, Defense+ which asked most questions and it is not now enabled unless you choose to do so, as it has other ways of stopping unknown malware.

James

#10 Kzer0

Kzer0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:26 AM

As far as I know, Bit defender won a bunch of awards from the independent testers for 2013.  I switched when it was on sale, but the accolades will bring the attention of the malware writers too to defeat it.  Any security system' including software relays on knowledge of known attacks to develop countermeasures.  The ability to predict  wide array of creativity is beyond us, so the advanced prediction tools use "heuristics", or (simply put) a guess at the behavior of files to head off unknown threats.  A picture viewing tool, or music player or whatever application is expected to do certain things, if it tries to open a communication to an unknown server and send all your data while downloading drivers to replace valid Windows system files, it could be "flagged" by the behavioral scanners.  Some confusion arises due to the differences in opinion of what might be considered suspect behavior. marry that with limited "good guys" needing to assign priorities, sell product (to feed their kids and pay student loans for example lol) and the fact that 100 lines of programming code can defeat the security of millions of lines of Windows code , all the while evolving the attacks to meet present day goals and we can start to imagine why there might be false positives or outright failures to detect new malware. Welcome to the game....sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but the AV industry gets bashed a lot.  I design hardware for cell phones. It is such a complicated system that I advise people to be happy it ever works, as opposed to mad when they drop a call.  I imagine the AV guys could teach me some lessons on humility and optimism.

#11 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks guys.  James, I think the one I used was the 6 version.  I finally disabled that portion.  But it still kept alarming, and I could not even see the message, if flashed then was gone.  It would put things in the sandbox, and then I had a hard time figuring out how to get it out.  Most of the time it did show the message, but if I wasn't around, it would automatically deny the request, I believe.  I like it when I can click to see what most feel is a safe program, or file.  But it was doing it way more than I wanted.  I didn't always know what to do.  But now that I just have the firewall, life has been a lot simpler.  I know that has left me more vulnerable.  The HIPS idea is a great one, but if you aren't pretty much informed on how to run it, it is too hard.  I have used computers since about 1993.  I am over 50, and did not have computers until my mid 30's.  So  I have learned a lot, but not enough for some programs.  I never took a course on it, just learned on my own, as I could. 

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I use ESET and Kaspersky and think they are both terrific products. You will find that people are fans of different products and that it is hard to say one is better than other.

#13 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

I just got an email from ESET when I contacted them.  They told me the NOD 32 av does protect against malware.  So I guess I am good to go. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users