Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP freeze/stall after non-use for 15-20 minutes; must hard reboot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 khoury

khoury

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hello, I'm new here and hoping to figure out my issue with someones help. I'm having repeated freezing daily now. Had couple of viruses in last few months and after cleaning up I'm now stalling after none use for more then 15-20 minutes. Chkdsk /c refers to 4 bad sectors with reference to run chkdsk /f /r; which will not finish scan past part 4 of 5 at 9% where it has stalled/stopped without ever finishing. TSame with MWBT and ESET, both run about 98% scan until they hit the ntkrnl.exe (maybe .ddl) and then stop scanning or freeze/abort without fix? I have a SimpleTech Ext drive I tried twice yesterday to do a total backup on and that pulled an error when writing. I was able to back up files but not WHOLE system. Any help would be appreciated.  

System is a Dell Diminsion XPSGEN5, 3.1RAM, xp pro pk3

Khoury

Edited by hamluis, 28 February 2013 - 03:35 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

The good news is at least you have your files backed up

Now for some bad(?) news

--- Chkdsk doesn't get past 9% in stage 4 of 5 (CHKDSK is verifying file data)

--- I suspect that indicates some file corruption

--- It could be that your ntkrnl.exe (maybe .ddl) is involved, don't know yet

However check for ntkrnl.exe in Bleeping Computers startup list and see if it applies in your case along with http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oG7m1SyS9R3QkAyhBXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGFvA2FvBGNzcmNwdmlkA1VpS3d3a2dldXJEaTk3dWpVU3VJWkFEb1luWk5qVkV2eEJBQURnaWwEZnIDc2x2OC10eWM4BGZyMgNzYnRuBG5fZ3BzAzIEb3JpZ2luA3NycARwcXN0cgNudGtybmwuZXhlBHF1ZXJ5A250a3JubC5leGUEc2FvAzEEdnRlc3RpZANWSVAyMDQ-?p=ntkrnl.exe&fr2=sb-top&fr=slv8-tyc8&pqstr=ntkrnl.exe

--- If its ntkrnl.dll check out http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-tyc8&p=ntkrnl.dll&type=

--- I've seen some references to ntkrnl.com, if this is your case check out http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-tyc8&p=ntkrnl.com&type=

--- It's important for us to know which one applies in your case; I suspect its ntkrnl.exe 

Have you tried Safe Mode?

Do you have a System Recovery disc?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/103301/ntkrnl/ indicates the possibility of an infection

#3 khoury

khoury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

thx. I'd prefer a full backup or ghost of the hd but don't have the tools or knowhow to do that. . .only read about it. I did look at the yahoo search. Mostly software to give a scan then buy it to maybe fix! The file is the ntoskrnl.exe that seems to stop the scans and is in my eventlog file as a driver error?

No i don't have the xp install disk and no recovery disc other then system restore that goes back to end of november I believe.

I wanted to rule out any other possiblity b4 hd, like maybe i missed a root or registry problem from the S.M.A.R.T. infection few months back that is causing the freeze? I did run error-checking from right-click c: in safe mode with find and fix bad sectors couple days back and made it to 98% scan b4 stall and Kernal Page error ntoskrnl.

The system runs great and fast and has only stopped on me while in the middle of something once in the last month. All other times has been while idle for to long? I've been shutting down last wk when walking away for more then 20mins. What 's next? 

K

#4 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

The system runs great and fast and has only stopped on me while in the
middle of something once in the last month. All other times has been
while idle for to long? I've been shutting down last wk when walking
away for more then 20mins. What 's next?

If it consistanly happens when bringing the computer out of idle, I would look for the settings that would change your screen saver or sleep mode.  Since Im guessing this is a laptop, have you thought about disabling the screen saver/sleep mode althoughter and just turn the screen off when you walk away?  Most would have a hotkey that you can do this quickly, such as Fn+F1.

Another way you can test this out is if you have a monitor or tv that you can hook it up to.

Once you can get past the time restraints, it will be easier to fix the underlying issue.

#5 khoury

khoury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hay Bot, thanks for the input. I have already turned off the sleep, hibernate on the system a week or so back. Doesn't seem to be the prob? K

#6 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Do you have another computer that you can use?  If so, I would remove the hd and put it in a USB enclosure and have another computer scan it for you.

Once the error is fixed, backing it up would be next step.  I back mine up to a network drive manually, so I can not offer any advice on the software you can use.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for letting us know that it is ntoskrnl.exe

Since you mention S.M.A.R.T. can you get into Recovery Mode upon startup and run a hard drive diagnostics?

You mention that you had a S.M.A.R.T. infection few months back

--- If a S.M.A.R.T. infection is still a possibility, it could cause the freeze as malware can cause ntoskrnl.exe to be altered 

--- Since you can't run your malware programs to completion you can't tell yet whether or not that can still apply

--- Have you tried running them in Safe Mode with Networking?

--- Consider Malwarebytes Free. Go into Safe Mode with Networking and see if you can get it and run it in Quick Scan the first time

Unfortunately I suspect a corrupt ntoskrnl.exe 

--- If your malware or Malwarebytes Free cannot run to completion in Safe Mode, check out the following ideas 

When you ran chkdsk in safe mode with find and fix bad sectors and made it to 98% scan b4 stall and Kernal Page error ntoskrnl what is the exact error message?

I understand you prefer a full backup but I suspect ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted and that's why Chkdsk doesn't get past 9% in stage 4 of 5 (CHKDSK is verifying file data)

--- I do not know of a way you can fix it without a system restore disk or do a fresh install

When the computer freezes after some time period (15-20 minutes) its probably because of the corrupt ntoskrnl.exe but is trying very hard to work but then becomes CPU intensive

#8 khoury

khoury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

I've done most of your suggestions once if not twice in and out of safe mode. So I have continued to read whatever I could get my hands on. I downloaded BluescreenView and read more. Microsoft kept giving a driver issue sugguestion. I pulled up all the unsigned drivers (which included my video card) and followed steps to move them to a different file, then reboot. No diff! Uninstalled the video totally off computer then reinstalled previous version. Notta. Is it my RAM or HD as many keep suggesting. I'vbe burned many hours troubleshooting this!

So I was thinking about the failed or corrupt driver thing as my last shot since after a reboot a couple days back Microsoft gave my a system crash send box which lead me to a help forum which talked about a driver problem or conflict . . .my computer guy had changed my Antivirus protection to MSE a few months ago from Avast and I didn't really like the idea soooo I've uninstalled the MSE with an uninstall tool yesterday eve about 8pm. and left the computer alone after a reboot. Also check to see if any of the Avast features where present still.

This morning about 10am the computer is still running (in sleep) and functioning fine so far. I installed Avira  before IE use and so far all is well. I will post again late today.

Thank you for your feedback. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users