Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clonezilla Unable to close

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hi. Recently I downloaded and extracted Clonezilla onto my laptop (to be used to transfer onto a usb disk and boot up to another computer). I'm very new to Unix and was using a tutorial. Before I even started, haven't even transfered Clonezilla to the USB and actually now i'm not going to, Clonezilla automatically loaded up on my laptop on boot up rather than W7. I tried using boot from OS on Primary hard disk but it doesn't work. Also closing Clonezilla is a pain. Please help, I just want to get back onto Windows 7 on my laptop instead of not being able to use it. 

Edited by Skydie, 28 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

Also trying to alter boot location from BIOS would be useless due to both Windows and Clonezilla being located on the same HDD. 

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

I think I found the cause of your problem. Looks like you may of thought you

had extracted the file to your flash drive but didn't.

Copied from here: Clonezilla Live on USB

MS Windows Method B: Manual

WARNING!   DO NOT RUN makeboot.bat from your local hard drive!
Doing so could cause your MS windows not to boot!!!

1. Download the Clonezilla Live zip file.
  2. If you already have a partition of at least 200 MB in size on your USB flash drive formatted with a FAT file system then skip to the next step (3).
    Otherwise create at least a 200 MB partition on your USB flash drive and format it with a FAT16 or FAT32 file system.
  3. Extract all the contents of the zip file to FAT16/FAT32 partition on your USB flash drive. Keep the directory architecture, for example, file "GPL" should be in the USB flash drive's top directory (e.g. G:\GPL).
  4. Browse to your USB flash drive and as an administrator, click the makeboot.bat in the dir utils\win32\. WARNING! Makeboot.bat must be run from your USB flash drive.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    (PS: The above description is modified from: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/02/all-in-one-usb-dsl. Thanks to PDLA from http://pendrivelinux.com)

It's been a while since you opened this topic. Have you found any solution to your problem?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Skydie

Skydie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the reply Buddy,

I decided to boot up from a back-up CD and try delete all traces of Clonezilla. I deleted Clonezilla live and a few other folders which were created as I used Tuxboot to make the Clonezilla live CD (I heeded the .bat warning). Now however after removing the apparent traces of Clonezilla I'm still unable to boot into Windows (without backup CDs which allow W7 to run in the RAM). I've check my HDD and all my files are there, even the Windows recovery partion. Yet I can't get into Windows ;(

Any ideas? Cheers for the reply too :)

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:35 PM

Worth trying....repairing mbr. Below is a link to how to do that.

How to Fix MBR in Windows 7 | eHow.com

A link to more detailed instructions: Repair Windows 7 Using the Startup Repair Tool

Edited by buddy215, 13 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users