Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop - Memory Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rach98n

rach98n

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:33 PM

Sorry that this may be repetitive, but I can't find a definite answer. I just bought a Gateway laptop w/256 RAM. I need it pretty much only to access the internet for some online classes. I find that at times it loads the internet pages w/o much problem, but other times, it is slow or doesn't load. I am accessing w/a build in Wireless G card to a Wireless B router. Would changing up the memory to 512 help?? I mean, I know it won't hurt, but will I have a noticeable difference in internet speed and connection reliability?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:03 PM

There are a couple of variables here, one is the type of connection you're using to access the internet, dial-up, or broadband. And the other is just the amount of traffic at the location your trying to access. Obviously dial-up is going to be the slowest, but even with broadband, if the site is busy it will take longer to load.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

dc3 is right. RAM will do little to speed up you internet - it is all in the connection...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:55 AM

Go to your browser's tools panel and clear the history and cache'. Also make sure your wireless router is not near any electricial appliances. Wireless telephones, especially cheap ones, sometimes interfer with wifi signal.
While more system RAM will not increase you internet speed in of it's self, it will make your internet applications run faster saving time on that end.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:32 AM

I am accessing a DSL line. There is generally one other laptop hitting the router. Would it help if I turn off the other two desktops if they are not being used? One is hard wired into the router, the other is wireless.

Thanks!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

They are splitting the bandwidth. Turning them off might help, especially if the DSL is not "high speed DSL" and they are running applications like updates, etc which use the internet.

You may also have some roadblock in the 802.11b to the 802.11g transmissions, the "g" being the newer standard.
Upgrading your router may make your connection more reliable. If your connection is noticeably weak all the time, variable, being dropped often in your own network, upgrading to new technology omnidirectional routers and corresponding notebook cards will enable better signal coverage and give you a more stable and stronger signal.
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WPN511.php

More Ram will not increase the maximum DSL connection speed you have but it will increase your computer's ability to make maximum use of the connection speed for the reasons below.

More RAM will help your computer load pages faster because XP, if that is what you are running, works much better with 512 anyway, and part of your 256 is being drawn off for your graphics adapter.

Graphics intensive or poorly designed pages take more time to load and make the load on your graphics adapter more severe. In a notebook the graphics adapter usually uses shared memory vs a separate video card which may be installed in a desktop that has its own ram and especially under load takes ram that the rest of the system could greatly use. Of course the speed of the processor comes into play too.

More ram will also give your computer more speed because it won't have to write to the page file as much, (or retrieve from the page file as much), the page file being slower because it a section on the hard drive - vs solid state memory (ram) which is much faster.

Another thing to try would be to reboot the entire system - the DSL modem (by unplugging it and disconnecting it from the phone line for a few minutes), unplugging the router, and of course shutting down all the computers using it.

To reboot, plug the modem back in, then the router, then boot the computer/s.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 12:35 PM.

#7 rach98n

rach98n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2006 - 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone. I get that more RAM won't speed up my connection, but it seems it would speed up page and application loading. Now, one last question. The laptop has one slot so if I upgrade the 256 comes out. I can get 512 for $40 or 1 g. for $80. I would like to only spend the $40 - will I be happy with this or should I go for the 1 g.??? I would not be running any big application software on this system.

Thanks again for the advice!

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

If you don't do any gaming or high end Picture or Video editing you should be good with 512 (I even do some pretty heavy gaming with the 512 and I am not all that bad).

BTW for you router Wireless G routers have come down alot in price recently. You can get a wireless G router on sale for about 50$CAD now...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users