Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Sharing Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mypanhead147

mypanhead147

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:04 PM

i bought my son a new dell computer with windows xp and bought the cable and Linksys router. Now i can not even connect on either computer thru the router. When i hook up to my dsl modem direcly and access the internet it says IXP/SXP and something about my computers protocol..any help would be appreciated. I have a westell Wire Speed Modem that worked perfectly before hooking up the Linksys router box and tried to hook them together. I have Verizon DSL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:32 PM

There may be a couple of problems here. You may need to set up your username and password in the router itself, and you may even be able to fix it by going into the internet options in Internet Explorer and telling it to obtain an address automatically.

In my experience with DSL modems, they need to be set up to access the internet with the software that they send you, and you usually have a static IP address assigned to your computer. Your router, on the other hand, has its own IP address. It might be helpful to call your DSL provider for help, since they should be familiar with their own equipment.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:53 AM

The tutorials here may help:

DSL may be using pppoe.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/

If either/any of your computers are running XP Pro look in its start/help section for "network setup wizard" without the quotation marks. It should tell you how to use it and how to migrate it to any other Win 9X computer by making a disk or floppy with the Win XP Pro (SP2) computer.

Edited by Enthusiast, 03 April 2006 - 12:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users