Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete Original User act create new

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scarshack

scarshack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me out.

I was having a huge issue with my hpdv6 with browser hanging and slow performance  After trying everything I possible could, I decideed to create a new user account. 

The new user account works great, no issues compared to the one I started with when I got the laptop.

I compared the two accounts to see whats running and not, whats in the start menu and etc, but cant find a difference.

Now at this point, all I want to do is use the newly created account instaed as it works better and delete the old one(the main admin account).

I will copy any docs I have that I need first.

How do I delete the original account? Will it effect anything such as permissions etc?

Also how do I make sure the new account has full permissions to install software etc?

Thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

First, you will need to make sure that the account you created is a local admin. To do this you will need to log into your old account and grant the new account local admin rights. Do you have Windows XP or Windows 7?

If the account is already a local admin, you can remove the account in Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage User Accounts. It will give you an option in the Window that opens to select the correct user account and view properties or remove the account. The below link will describe into further detail

Windows XP:

http://www.wikihow.com/Delete-an-Account-on-Windows-XP

Windows 7:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6619/beginner-geek-delete-user-accounts-in-windows-7/

#3 scarshack

scarshack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Kevin.

Using windows 7.

I will give it a try shortly.

Also by doing this I will lose any documents I dont save someone first correct?

Once completed, the new and only user account would act like the original one yes? Such as install programs etc?

thanks for the help

#4 scarshack

scarshack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:01 AM

It is not allowing me to set new user as Admin! The admin option is gray. I even made sure the new user was signed out.

Any Ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users