Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Render Slave for 3D Rendering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

Hey guys,

I'm putting together a render slave for 3D rendering, but I'm working to a budget of around £500, which I know isn't a lot.

For those who don't know, 3D rendering is all about CPU power, and to an extent RAM. The faster the CPU, the quicker images render.

I have put together a wishlist, and would like options on it please....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3MFJAXB5N1GEV

I have listed a micro ATX case and motherboard, as I want to keep the physical size as small as possible. The case also comes with a 500W power supply, which should be more than enough as it wont be running any graphics, sound card, or other peripherals. 16GB ram will also be ample.

I guess my main concern is the CPU - motherboard combo. I'm typically an AMD user, but the i7s are faster, and not that much more expensive now. Regarding the motherboard, I won't be overclocking at all, the system needs to be reliable, so I'm not even thinking of going down this route.

Anyway, if anyone has any comments please let me know.

Thanks,

Dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

You can save some money by getting the 3770 which has the locked multiplier, so you basically can not overclock. You should buy a reliable power supply rather then using the sub par included power supply if you want reliability. Something like this would have enough wattage to power the system with ease.

Edited by killerx525, 28 February 2013 - 06:18 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Thanks for the advice, I did wonder if the power supply would be a step too far for money saving, any with the Corsair one being modular it will help keep things less cluttered, which is always a good thing I guess in a small case!

It makes sense to go for the plain 3770, rather than the 3770k. I presume there's no difference in performance?

The other thing I'm a bit cautious about is the motherboard, will it be up to the job, and will it be compatible with Ivy Bridge? What's the best way of finding out?

Thanks,

Dean

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

By saving on the processor, it would allow you to spend on a better power supply and there is no performance difference between the 3770 and 3770k. The motherboard is compatible with Ivy bridge but you will have to update the Bios and this is where the problem comes in, if the motherboard sent to you uses the old bios which does not support Ivy Bridge then you can not boot up with your 3770 unless you get a Sandy Bridge CPU to just update the Bios. So to avoid the possible chance of that happening, i suggest looking at a H77 chipset motherboard which should support Ivy Bridge out of the box.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

OK thanks, I have looked into it and swapped the motherboard. This one is Ivy Bridge ready, and also allows for 32gb ram, which makes it more future-proof too. I have also swapped the power supply to a Corsair one, and the case too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/1QUTUAFJ9CK6Z

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Dean

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Beautiful mate, everything looks good :thumbup2:

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users