Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games for Win 8?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

Is there anyway to get the simple games you could play in Win 7 in Win 8?  You know, the standard solitaire, hearts, etc.

Am working on a couple of computers for a older community apartment complex and they want those games back.  Installed Windows Shell so they knew how to get around like Win XP or 7, but just can't find the older games they want.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

They're not installed by default, but they are available as a free app in the Windows app store. A full guide for installing and making them accessible to the classic desktop can be found here.

#3 Mr Cary

Mr Cary

• Banned Spammer
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

There are lot of games. At this time only few best games for wind 8  in my mind. 4 Elements II Special Edition, Adera, Angry Birds Space and Angry Birds Star Wars.

#4 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

They're not installed by default, but they are available as a free app in the Windows app store. A full guide for installing and making them accessible to the classic desktop can be found here.

That worked perfectly. Thank you! I was missing those games!

[EDIT] I was referring to the link for making the old ones work on the classic desktop. :clapping:

Edited by B5Anteros, 05 March 2013 - 09:16 PM.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#5 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

My Win 8 machine is 64 bit and my Win 7 is 32 bit. Would that make a difference while trying to install win 7 games into my win 8?

#6 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

My Win 8 machine is 64 bit and my Win 7 is 32 bit. Would that make a difference while trying to install win 7 games into my win 8?

I honestly don't know. Maybe someone here with more knowledge will be able to answer that. Both machines I used are 64 bit.

Edited by B5Anteros, 07 March 2013 - 01:54 AM.

HP Envy 1417c = Intel i7 3770 at 3.4 GHz = 12 GB RAM = Pegatron 2AD5 Motherboard = 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 Disk Device = Several External HD's = 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 = Windows 8 64 bit = Mozilla Firefox = Avast Free = Windows Defender.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:15 AM

I have games and programs that I used on XP 32 bit that I put on Win8 64 bit with no problem. Jewel Quest 2, Cubis Gold, Bookworm, Richochet Recharged, Moroff Ware Games, Rolling Marbles, Rummy 500, Solitaire Plus, all installed and worked just fine, as did my screen saver program, Webshots. Many of those I had also used on Win98.

Some games that I put on that were used on Win98 before I used them on XP,  like Moroff Ware Game, were actually designed for Win95 and Win3.1, and they work just fine.

One program, my music player Sonique, gave a notice when I started to install it that it had compatibility issues, but I gave it a shot anyway. It installed fine and it works just fine, no compatibility issue whatsoever..

A couple of games, like Zuma and Jigsaw Galore, would not install, but I did  a google search for newer versions that would work with Win8 64 bit and found them. I had to buy them again but I found a site that had them for such a low price that I didn't mind buying them again. Spent less than 10 buck to get both of them.

My older versions of Quicken and Wordperfect would not work so I had to buy the new versions but so far, of all the stuff I had used on XP 32 bit, there are only 4 program/games that I have had to replace.

In case you can't tell, I skipped Vista and Win7, lol

#8 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

Has anyone used a hex editor (and where to download) before and is it simple?  Don't want to screw something up and not sure what to download or how easy it is to use the Microsoft Games patcher.  Do you run it within those folders that you move over to Win 8?  Or do you have to run it in each of the game folders to do one at a time?

#9 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

I tried to use a Hex editor and it's simply overwhelming. In the end I just used the Microsoft Games Patcher linked on those instructions. It's quite simple and extremely fast.

Edited by B5Anteros, 10 March 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#10 woodsman345

woodsman345

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

I have Hex Editor Neo and it cannot find the string of data the instructions tell me to locate when I search for it manually.

#11 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:02 AM

Do you put all the .exe files into one folder and run it?  And should I do it on the Win 8 machine?  And not sure the exact link for the download either, HELLLLLLPPPP!  LOL

I tried to use a Hex editor and it's simply overwhelming. In the end I just used the Microsoft Games Patcher linked on those instructions. It's quite simple and extremely fast.

#12 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

I just copied the entire "Microsoft Games" folder from Win 7 to my Program Files. Each game in it has its own folder. Then I copied the cardgames.dll file into each folder. Then ran the Game Patcher.

#13 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:03 AM

Do you run the Game Patcher from each game's folder, or just one time by putting it somewhere within the "C" drive?

I just copied the entire "Microsoft Games" folder from Win 7 to my Program Files. Each game in it has its own folder. Then I copied the cardgames.dll file into each folder. Then ran the Game Patcher.

#14 B5Anteros

B5Anteros

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Just one time. You don't even have to run the patcher from the C drive. Just run it from whatever folder Windows put it in when you downloaded it.

#15 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:38 PM

Just tried running it on the Win 8 machine, but AVG detected it as a trojan horse.  It wanted me to select either to let AVG protect me or ignore the threat.  Anybody else get this warning and is it safe?  This isn't my computer and don't want to screw it up, but would like to know if I ever do get a Win 8 machine in the future.

Thanks for all the assistance so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users