Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop made a weird faint click noise near the HDD compartment area?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 traptack

traptack

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

Is the HDD about to fail? is it a fan problem? I was worried as it came out of nowhere and my laptop slowed down to where I had to hold the power button down to restart, however my laptop is currently fine and not showing any signs of problems or emitting the same sounds I heard early...

My laptop (lenovo) is still under warrenty but i've heard horrible storries about their customer service, so if it needs to be repaired, i'll probably end up doing it myself

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

2 options since it is still under warrenty.

1-Find out everything you can about the warrenty such as what it covers and what it doesnt.  Some even allow you to go to a shop for a free diagnostics.

2-If you are comfortable doing it yourself, it would likely be your best bet.  Laptops, especially those made in the last 4-5 years, are more user friendly to access the hard drive and memory.  Do your research if you have never opened a computer before.

It is possible the HD has a clicking sound, but it is dampened by the case.  Try this to amplify the sound:

Place anything that is at least 4-5 inches tall like a marker, highlighter, pen, ect that can stand on its head, and put it as close to the hard drive as possible.  Balence a paper towel or something similar to creat a 'flat roof'.  You need to have this on the computer while it is on, but already booted up.  When the computer starts slowing down, watch the edges of the paper towel:  if it twitches, the hard drive is likely failing; if the edges are steady, then it is likely a heat problem.

How this works-fans are a constant sound.  They may go faster or slower depending on what is going on, but rarely do they start/stop suddenly.

If a hard drive is failing, the clicking sound that is heard is the head hitting up against something which is a start/stop.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Most hdd manufacturers have diagnostic tests which you can download and run to determine the health of your hdd.  To find out who the manufacturer of your hdd is you can use SIW (System Information for Windows) , i'ts free.

Once you have downloaded it and opened it you will see a menu on the left side.  Scroll down to the Hardware section and click on Storage Devices.  In the pane on the right the information for your hdd will appear.  The areas highlighted in red in the picture below are what you are looking for.

siwhardware2_zps26f789c1.png

You should call Lenovo's support and see what they can do for you.  We all hear horror stories about how poor support  can be with some companies, but you usually hear it from people who had other issues complicating their experience, like not understanding enough to ask the right questions or not understanding what they are being told.

Edited by dc3, 28 February 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Most hdd manufacturers have diagnostic tests which you can download and run to determine the health of your hdd.  To find out who the manufacturer of your hdd is you can use SIW (System Information for Windows) , i'ts free.

Once you have downloaded it and opened it you will see a menu on the left side.  Scroll down to the Hardware section and click on Storage Devices.  In the pane on the right the information for your hdd will appear.  The areas highlighted in red in the picture below are what you are looking for.

siwhardware2_zps26f789c1.png

You should call Lenovo's support and see what they can do for you.  We all hear horror stories about how poor support  can be with some companies, but you usually hear it from people who had other issues complicating their experience, like not understanding enough to ask the right questions or not understanding what they are being told.

mine is manufactured by WD  western digital then

what's the next step?

and the thing I hear about lenovos support is that they take ages to ship back your product.

_____

2 options since it is still under warrenty.

1-Find
out everything you can about the warrenty such as what it covers and
what it doesnt.  Some even allow you to go to a shop for a free
diagnostics.

2-If you are comfortable doing it
yourself, it would likely be your best bet.  Laptops, especially those
made in the last 4-5 years, are more user friendly to access the hard
drive and memory.  Do your research if you have never opened a computer
before.

It is possible the HD has a clicking sound, but it is dampened by the case.  Try this to amplify the sound:

Place
anything that is at least 4-5 inches tall like a marker, highlighter,
pen, ect that can stand on its head, and put it as close to the hard
drive as possible.  Balence a paper towel or something similar to creat a
'flat roof'.  You need to have this on the computer while it is on, but
already booted up.  When the computer starts slowing down, watch the
edges of the paper towel:  if it twitches, the hard drive is likely
failing; if the edges are steady, then it is likely a heat problem.

How
this works-fans are a constant sound.  They may go faster or slower
depending on what is going on, but rarely do they start/stop suddenly.

If a hard drive is failing, the clicking sound that is heard is the head hitting up against something which is a start/stop.

so is it indeed a sign the HDD will fail soon? how is it supposed to sound? I put my ear up close to the surface near where the HDD would be and I just hear a steady hum and a rhymtic click click (i think)

Edited by traptack, 28 February 2013 - 10:57 PM.

#5 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

I would try the manufacture diagnostics, since you have that information now.  Maxtor was bought out by Seagate, but it would still apply

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

scroll down to utilities and d/l and install the Seatools

This application would provide much more detail then a marker and paper towel :)

#6 IAmNotABot

IAmNotABot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Take a look at link below.  It has both diagnostics and also sound bytes that you can hear the difference on the click click sound.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

#7 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

I would try the manufacture diagnostics, since you have that information now.  Maxtor was bought out by Seagate, but it would still apply

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

scroll down to utilities and d/l and install the Seatools

This application would provide much more detail then a marker and paper towel :)

sorry but my hdd is made by WD

the maxtor belongs to the guy I quoted to :P

thanks

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

Here you go, WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II)

When go to this site scroll down and you will find a download button, below that are detailed instructions.

The turn around time is always slow when you deal directly with the manufacturer.  I had to RMA a RAM module, it took almost two weeks to receive the new module.  See if there is a local certified repair shop that they will allow you to take it to.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:34 AM

Here you go, WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II)

When go to this site scroll down and you will find a download button, below that are detailed instructions.

The turn around time is always slow when you deal directly with the manufacturer.  I had to RMA a RAM module, it took almost two weeks to receive the new module.  See if there is a local certified repair shop that they will allow you to take it to.

sorry for the bump but

I ran the quick scan (for now) and I passed, no issues were found

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

That's good news, but I would go ahead and run the long test just to be sure.

my laptop is currently fine and not showing any signs of problems

If nothing shows up in the long test and this computer is still not showing signs of problems, we have reached the point where "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes into play.

If you need to post here later and this topic gets buried, and they do over time, you can click on your avatar to take you to your profile.  Once there you can click on Find Content, find your topic and click on it to open it.

Edited by dc3, 06 March 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#11 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

That's good news, but I would go ahead and run the long test just to be sure.

my laptop is currently fine and not showing any signs of problems

If nothing shows up in the long test and this computer is still not showing signs of problems, we have reached the point where "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes into play.

If you need to post here later and this topic gets buried, and they do over time, you can click on your avatar to take you to your profile.  Once there you can click on Find Content, find your topic and click on it to open it.

it passed :)

so now i'm just left to wonder what that licking was all about

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

If it's working properly,  don't question it, just enjoy it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users