Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD Recovery (Raw Date Randomly)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sceptor

sceptor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Ok so Im not a complete new and know how to do some data recovery but the break down is this.  This is a 3 TB Seagate external HD. It started to fail and I know the data is on it and intact because It would work sometimes  before finally crapping out and going raw.  I think me trying to mess with it while it was on and starting to fail kinda sealed the deal.  I figured this was an issue of the external enclosure going bad as I've had this happen before with WD and just removed it and said screw it and put it in my PC and it worked perfectly.  I did this (even though it voided my warranty) because I have over 2 TB of data I really dont want to lose and dont have any way of backing it up with it failing anyhow so sending it to Seagate wasn't really an option.  

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I know this person checks the forum since I saw it in the comments so wanted to post here per his suggestion to others. 

I followed this guide because I had a feeling it was just my partition that got messed up.  Basically its showing as 2 separate 300GB raw data partitions in disc manager but when I went through these steps using quick analyze I see the partition and I can see all my files perfectly in order and on the disc.  The issue for me now becomes when I go through the steps where it says 'Write" for selecting the new partition after making sure im on the right disc it then goes to the "Press Y to confirm that you want to write a new partition table.  I press Y and immediately it goes back to the regular screen at the beginning where the analyze , Advanced, Geometry options are.

I tried rebooting to see if somehow it fixed it (knowing it probably didn't) and sure enough its still raw.  I cant seem to get it to write the new partition.  Any help is much appreciated.

The only thing I did before discovering this guide was run the seagate disc tools for windows to check the disc for errors and it found a few and fixed them even though that wasn't and isn't the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sceptor

sceptor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

td15.jpg

^^^ This is the part I can get to but then instead of having it go to this  ->

td16.jpg

it instantly goes back to this 

td4.jpg

Edited by sceptor, 27 February 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

Hi

That probably means that your problem is not with the partition table. If you see the data, you can copy it to another drive from within TestDisk. When you list your files/folders, you'll see instructions at the bottom of the screen for copying.

Are you doing this in Windows or PartedMagic?

If it is in PartedMagic, have you tried mounting the partition and using the File MAnager in PartedMagic to access the files. If you can, then you can copy them to another mounted drive using that. You may find that easier than copying them from within TestDisk.

See the section "Do you want to recover anything extra important first?" in that blog post for more details on that technique.

3TB drives really push the limits of this technique (for various reasons concerning how they maintain compatibility with older computers while still showing over 2.2TB). If you check TestDisk's forums, you'll see a lot of people having trouble with 3TB drives. I'm sure that will change though :)

James

#4 sceptor

sceptor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

Hey James,

What could the issue be if all my files are in tact and I can see them but for some reason it's showing up as raw?  I suppose I could buy another 3 TB drive and reformat this one and return the other one if need be.  It isn't optimal but I would like to understand better what it could be.  I definitely had issues of not safely removing the harddrive but it was already failing so im not quite sure how to fix it.

I was booting off the CD per your instructions into parted magic so how is it possible I can get to the 'write' section and when I click write and click OK it just immediately goes back to the screen like I said.  It didn't even let me try to write or repair the partition so how can that be when clearly there is an issue with it

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

When you choose WRITE it will then ask you to confirm. When you press Y to confirm it takes you to a screen that says

"You will have to reboot for the change to take effect."

The only option on this screen is to press enter to continue at which point it takes you back to the start screen with Analyse Advanced etc. Just like you saw.

I presume that after confirming you hit enter twice without realizing it and skipped the screen that said "You will have to reboot for the change to take effect.". The partition table is very tiny so writing it is very quick.

So while it looks like it went back, that is actually the screen it goes to normally.

I have extra 3TB drives so I just recover the data, test the drive then put it back if the drive is healthy. Trying to repair the drive without getting the data off of it first is just too risky for my work so as soon as a problematic drive gives me access to the data (like being able to see the data on a RAW partition in TestDisk) I copy it to another drive immediately before proceeding with any repair attempts.

There may be something out there that fixes these without needing to do a recovery. If so maybe someone else can chime in and point us in that direction.

James

#6 sceptor

sceptor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

Guess no luck with any other suggestions.  I bought another 3 TB so I'll post here when I am about to get started on moving the files over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users