Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making a wireless internet connection on Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 intaki

intaki

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Peace:

Can anyone help an Absolute Beginner make a wireless connection to the internet?  The language in the forums is not working for me. I am trying to make this connection using a Verizon modem/router and a linksys usb adapter.  The connection works for Windows XP which is on the hard drive with Ubuntu 12.10. thanks in advance for any suggestions. aki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

Peace: I'm replying to this topic to add my experiences since my first post.

Was able to connect wirelessly to Damn Small Linux on a Neoware CA21 Internet Appliance.

OS was booted from a flashdrive.

Was unable to connect wirelessly to Ubuntu 12.04lts or Puppy Linux.

These OS were booted from a flashdrive on an Optiplex gx2609(small form desktop)

All OS work fine on  wired connection but the problem comes when trying to use a

Linksys AE1200  Wireless-N USB Adapter. This adapter works fine on Windows XP. Does

anyone know of a site with plain English directions for this task?  Thanks, aki

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:20 PM

In a terminal, type:

lsmod | grep 80211

You should get back something if your equipment is recognized.

If you get nothing, the system doesn't see your wireless. You may need a driver. To go down that road, you'll need to know the chipset used by the wireless equipment. That may or may not require a Windows driver and something like ndiswrapper.

Output should look similar to this (the driver module itself will likely be different):

mac80211              436493  1 ath5k
cfg80211              178877  3 ath5k,ath,mac80211

In my case, that ath5k is the module used. You may not have both lines, you may have them and they're different content, or whatever. But if you have no response back to the above command, you can be sure your wireless isn't recognized.

Start there. At least it will let you know whether or not you're going to need to do some heavy lifting.

#4 intaki

intaki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Peace:

Tried it and got no response. 

When I got a connect with the Neoware, It was because that machine has an installed wireless connection.

Now I see the difference and even though it says connected, that adapter is not recognized by Ubuntu.  I have the disk that came with the Linksys adapter. CouldI use that to install the driver?

Thanks for trying to help this Absolute Beginner.  I really enjoy just trying Ubuntu 12.04 and Puppy Linux.

I will go to work on this "ndiswrapper" and take it from there!  aki

Edited by intaki, 05 March 2013 - 11:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users