Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer says duplicate ip addresses are on network.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ruthearlene

ruthearlene

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hi. this is my first post. I use my Sony Vaio w/Verizon wireless connection many hours every day. There is one other computer and an HP printer on my network for which I am the host. I have tried to correct this by "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew" but am still getting the message. I use Windows 7 Professional, and this error slows both computers down. Will appreciate any help. thanks - ruthearlene

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

This is most commonly caused by one of the computer (or printer) being set to a static ip address.  You can check the status - by typing 'view network' in the start button search box - and selecting 'view network connections' under the control panel

you should see a couple connections - something along the lines of 'wireless connection' (if the other computer is wired it would be wired connection) - right click on that and select properties - scroll down the list until you see 'internet protocol version 4' and double click on that. - These should be set to Obtain Ip Automatically - If not write down the numbers (all of them) and change settings to Obtain Automatically.  See what happens.  If you completely lose internet connection even after a restart go back and put numbers back in.

you probably don't have to check the printer but if you do almost every printer menu is different I would want manufacturer and model if I try and lead you through that.

This can also be caused by a router going bad - how old is your current router?

Edited by AngryRaisin, 27 February 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#3 ruthearlene

ruthearlene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Thank you. I did as you suggested and my computer was already checked to obtaining ip automatically. We use Verizon wireless hotspot as a router, and Verizon told me it was not a problem with phone, it was a computer problem. My printer is HP Officejet 4500 G510n-z. Thanks for your help.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

This is a hotspot run off your phone correct - not a standalone device like a mifi correct?

Do you also lose connection when a phone call comes in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users